Notices

Move back to parents or stay in my apartment

Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Move back to parents or stay in my apartment

So my story is that I just came clean tonight with my parents about my 3 month heroin addiction. Smoking about .5 black tar daily. My girlfriend was there also for support but this was still the hardest thing I've ever had to tell my family. My family was very surprised but supportive about my addiction. We agreed that I would spend the weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) at my parents house to detox because it's hard to do this alone at my apartment. My girlfriend and parents want me to move back to my parents next month so I can get away from all the druggies and dealers that live near my apartment. I feel like the detox at my parents is a good idea but that moving back in with them afterwards would be taking a step back. I still want my independence and pride in paying my own way with bills rent etc. and it might seem like a small issue but it's a big deal to me. My argument is that saying "wherever you go there you are." Because Even if I'm living at my parents I could still pickup from my dealer just as easy, the drive would be just about 5 min more. I feel like as long as I'm 100% dedicated to being sober after my detox I should still be able to handle living at my apartment alone even with addicts and dealers living nearby. Or should I move in with my parents temporarily?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

move in with your folks.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ultimately the decision is yours.

I'm a pretty firm believer in people standing on their own two feet. I think a sober living house or something like that would be better than asking your folks to be sober cops.

But, it's your life...you need to assess yourself honestly and decide which option would be better for your recovery.

I think you have an even bigger question tho - no matter which option you choose, have you thought about how you'll stay clean and sober?

D
Old 11-17-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said
Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A sober living house might work. I forgot about those. To stay sober I'm going to use some of the SMART tools and goto NA meetings. Thank you for the advice
Old 11-17-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Jeff
Old 11-17-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Where you live isn't as important as how you're going to stay clean. I wish you the best.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Take support where you can get it. There are other supportive avenues than your parents. Go to NA. Come here. Find a sponsor. Do what you can to not pick up. Good luck - you can do it!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is nice to hear that you have such supportive parents. You can try staying in your apartment with the plan you have in place but if you find you have difficulty, keep the option of staying at your parents open.