Notices

19 months!!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

19 months!!

Well, I officially have 19 months now completely alcohol free. It's really amazing how much has changed in my life. I'm grateful for all that recovery has brought me. Progress has sometimes seemed to be so slow, but when I look back, I see that I have come a really long way.

I do a better job at work and I now have a lot more projects and business coming in- which may be related to me doing a better job. I feel more sane about my work as I make a real effort to take care of little things like answering the phone when my customers call or calling them back in a timely matter if I miss the call. They get better service and I don't have to worry about who I need to call back.

My anxiety and specifically my social anxiety are a lot better, although I still have some stuff to work on. Having that be better makes it easier to interact with my customers.

I'm slowly reaching out and developing new sober relationships. I now have a 'normie' boyfriend rather than being in a super dysfunctional relationship with an addict and drinker. I've made friends on SR. I've gotten involved in sober activities including yoga, AA and most recently, a church band.

My family lives out of town, so I don't get to see them much, but I have spent more quality time with them when I do get to see them. I'm no longer trying to arrange our gatherings so I can slip out after a couple of hours and get high.

Financially, I am doing a lot better after giving everything up. I was spending such an insane amount of money on alcohol, cigarettes and weed. There were so many things I didn't buy because of that. I am finally to the point where I've been able to buy all of those things, a little each month: doctor's visits, new clothes, new shoes, a new (used) car, stuff for the house, etc. And I am caught up on all of my bills rather than trying to scrape by month to month. I have a little money in savings. I actually keep track of where all my money goes. And now that I'm caught up on stuff I needed, my next goal is to start saving a lot more and to eventually look at moving to a new place.

I feel so much healthier, happier and more secure in my life. I feel more balanced emotionally. I just feel engaged in my sober life. There are so many things that I am active doing and working towards.

Life isn't perfect by any means. There are still problems to be faced in my new relationship. While I've gotten more work, I've also lost a few customers. Developing friendships has proven to be a huge challenge and I'm still at a level of developing more acquaintances than close friends. I still wish I had more money to undertake some major projects around my house and travel more. I wish I had more time to do everything. BUT, I'm making progress. I can tackle the problems with a clear head. I am working on goals and learning more each day.

And to be clear, I've worked really hard for all of the improvements in my life. Getting sober wasn't a magic wand. I still had to put in the work to get where I wanted to go (and have a lot of patience!!). But being sober set me up with the foundation I needed to be able to do those things. I'm making progress on my goals.

When I was drinking/smoking/etc. the only thing where there was progress was in my disease.

I started at the same place everybody does... on day 1. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-drinking.html

And since I'm digging up old threads, here's one on what I did to get here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...along-way.html While I wrote this at 6 months, I've stuck with many of the same strategies.

Sobriety is a blessing and I am so very thankful for it.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Great post, DG! And many congratulations on your achievement
Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I really needed to see this today Great job, definitely inspiring. I am going to give the sugar kick I am on a boot to the curb, I agree that I have been keeping that part of addiction alive with my consumption. Again, amazing job.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations DG, I love reading your posts, I find them very inspiring
Old 11-09-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been following your posts since you started this journey, DG. WELL done, my friend, WELL done. 19 months is fabulous, congratulations!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

That's amazing! Congratulations!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This was just wanted I needed today! I am 42 days in, feel confident in the direction I am going. The sugar thing is true, I am planning on cutting that down, now that I am in a few weeks of no drinking. Thank you for laying out your road map, it is really helpful. Congratulations to you and your 19 months.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 19 months sober!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations, DG, on 19 months.

Great to hear that you have experienced so many positive changes in your life!!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big well done DG this is awesome im coming up for 16 months myself next friday

this is awesome news congratulations DG
Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey DG0409- A big congrats on the 19 months! From reading your post, it's clear this has been nothing short of awesome for you. I mean the reinvented, new, you. This is also a great read for those who are just beginning, when things tend to seem the most daunting.

You should feel very proud.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're so clear headed and practical DG. Keep on goin'!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats!! What's an accomplishment
Old 11-09-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Congratulations DG! A MAJOR transformation, done the right way and with life changing benefits!!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations - thank you for such a wonderful post, you're truly inspiring!!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This was so inspiring, D! Congratulations on 19 months and all your accomplishments! I'm only on Day 23, and your post helps me look forward to my recovery process in an excited way. Keep on keepin' on, and thank you!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your inspiring story!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations DG

D
Old 11-09-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your sober journey; congratulations!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratuations DG! I love your posts. Your 6 month -'How I did it'-helped me so much when I first started out. Thank you. So happy to hear how well you are doing.