Notices

Fitness for recovey???

Old 11-06-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fitness for recovey???

Has anyone used fitness for their recovery? My husband is trying to convince me to sign up for a triathlon in the spring. He thinks this will really help with my drinking problem. I've always been athletic and loved the outdoors.

I drink 1-2 nights a week at bars. Definitely a binge drinker. Definitely think I have a drinking problem. Definitely want to quit.

Just curious if anyone has been successful maintain in sobriety with exercise and SR?

Thx for your feedback!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey LimaBean3000,

My recovery was almost 100% based on fitness. I had already been very active while drinking, however once I stopped, I intensified things to help fill the gap of where the booze was. I tried to build a lifestyle where alcohol had no business.

I really think this is very key to success, because you're not only reinventing yourself in such a fantastic way, but drinking seems to morph into something that's just not as desirable was it once was.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My only ability to sobriety...... fitness. I was already pretty fit, but I could correlate a massive improvement in my fitness when I quit. Seeing what the "A" game looked like..... and continues to feel like... that keeps me sober. A tri is a terrific idea if you have it in you..
Old 11-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exercise and healthy eating has been a significant part of my recovery so far. Exercise seems to really help with cravings so I try to work out during the time of day I most want to drink.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would echo what Lusher said. Through everything I somehow have kept actively working out. With alcohol not being part of my life anymore it's been personally encouraging to enjoy the noticeable gains I've enjoyed. That, combined with SR, has been a great tool for me. If I hadn't already been into fitness etc., I dont know that it would have been as beneficial. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living Sober

>>Continued from my above post<<< (I was timed out)

Additional:

(I wanted to go into a bit more detail, as I really feel strongly about this)

I should add that fitness also made stopping easier then I would have thought. It actually kept the cravings at bay. I was a very heavy drinker, and was able to change that pretty quick by using these lifestyle changes. Once I got through the withdrawals, which lasted just over a week, I was able to begin.

These changes also helps a person see themselves in a better light, which can be a huge morale booster. The fruits of their efforts will start to show, and people will take notice. This can snowball into dietary changes as well, and before you know it, you're a very healthy sober person. I'd even bet that at this point, the urge to drink again might not sound very appealing anymore.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I suppose in a way, as one of my recovery exercises has been my daily dog walks. I look forward to our walks and they always lift my spirits. The exercise renews me. I feel more alive when we are walking.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes.

Bunnez
Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really appreciate the feedback! I've alway want to do a Triathlon and can definitely see where having that goal can help! I've always been on pretty good shape and am looking forward to where having this new goal will take me.

I definitely have noticed that when I feel like drinking and go for a run or bike ride or walk my dog....by the time I get home...not only is my desire to drink gone but my spirits are greatly lifted!

Thanks! I hope I can not only stop drinking, but achieve a personal goal of ridding my body of toxins and only putting healthy things into it in the future. If there was ever a time for that...it's now! I would love to really get FIT!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Going to the gym at 5:30 tomorrow morning! And the journey begins... :-)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
totfit

Primary part of my recovery also.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Big part of my sobriety, but I was into fitness while drinking. Now that I've stopped and am seeing great improvements (strength, endurance, aesthetics ... pretty much everything) it makes me want to drink even less.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yes indeed LB3, I started doing the shorter triathlons 4-5 years ago (at 53 yrs old) and got hooked. I still kept my binge drinking going, but did cut back some. Have recently decided to stop alcohol all together as I see myself losing more control in each binge lately. Day 6 here now. Am trying to at least do one of the three disciplines everyday + a visit to the gym. The endorphins seem to be helping me with the weaning in process. Good luck to you. Triathlons, the shorter ones anyway, are a lot of fun !!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've tried using exercise, fitness, diet to stay sober.
Hitting the gym 7 days a week, running, weight training. Hired a personal trainer.

Hasn't helped at all. I might stay sober for a week or two but always relapse.

I found it just a distraction from the issues I really needed to be dealing with.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

....as soon as I put the ice cream down, I will get in better shape....
Old 11-06-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I began to care for my body after I stopped doing drugs and drinking. I eat a well balanced, much healthier diet (as opposed to beer and drugs). I also weight train 5-6 days per week. I believe this helps me stay sober...but most importantly it helps me because I work out with a body and we push each other. The main thing that keeps me sober is having relationships with other people. If I were to use or drink I would be hurting not only myself but these other people too. This keeps me sober.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes. I get natural highs off working out. Incentive, and hope. Not to mention what it does for the self-esteem. I think about getting high off exercise now. Not other methods.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've tried fitness in the past, & alone it isn't enough to keep me sober.

This time, I've focused the first 3 months on building my sobriety "infrastructure" with 90 meetings in 90 days (that was the aspiration; I may not make the 90, but I'll be darn close), creating a social community composed primarily sober relationships, etc.

My 90 day milestone is next week, & I plan to shift focus to fitness for the next 90 day period. I stayed moderately fit & active while drinking (& in early sobriety), but haven't been devoted to fitness, as I have been at some points in my life. I'm the exact same weight today that I was on the day I quit, which I attribute to increased sugar intake & lots of sitting (in meetings, at work, online with SR).

I have some serious health issues which I 'm dealing with now, which may limit my exercise intensity a little, but I'll do what I can. I quit smoking cigs last month & also weed when I quit drinking, so I'm looking forward to increased aerobic capacity...

Bottom line - I needed to fully focus on sobriety initially, but now I'm excited to bring a very intentional fitness program back into my life.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HOUMJM View Post
yes indeed LB3, I started doing the shorter triathlons 4-5 years ago (at 53 yrs old) and got hooked. I still kept my binge drinking going, but did cut back some. Have recently decided to stop alcohol all together as I see myself losing more control in each binge lately. Day 6 here now. Am trying to at least do one of the three disciplines everyday + a visit to the gym. The endorphins seem to be helping me with the weaning in process. Good luck to you. Triathlons, the shorter ones anyway, are a lot of fun !!
That's what my husband said HOU! And by the way...I'm not planning on doing an Iron Man! Lol. The Tri my husband wants to sign me up for is a mini-Tri. (1/2 mile swim, 18 mile bike ride, 5k). :-)

The feed back was great. I can understand that exercise alone may not be enough for some people to maintain sobriety (or even me) but I was just wondering if exercise WAS enough for anyone? (In addition to SR) :-)

Have a great day ya'll!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Exercise is definitely a great support to sobriety.

Frustratingly, my fitness is pretty low this time round, though my sobriety is growing and stable. This time, my energy is just so depleted and my mood so depleteD. The two are no doubt tied together. Exercise would help boost mod and energy but I am struggling to get back to a routine. I am a marathon runner, crossfitter, weight lifter and martial arts practitioner.... But these past months its all I can do to run five miles or make it to the gym twice.

I really hope I manage to get through this stage of recovery and back to fitness sooner than later.