Notices

Gave up booze...took up smoking

Old 11-04-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gave up booze...took up smoking

Today marks week 2 of being sober and I'm feeling strong enough to keep that going but last week I bought a pack of smokes. I'm not really a smoker in general but felt I "needed" something to not crave alcohol. Not proud of my habit and I will quit but just can't figure out why I need a habit of any sort. Was curious if any of my friends on SR experienced anything like this.

I'm weirdly justifying it by sayin at least I not going to do stupid things like I did when I drank but why pick up another bad habit at all?? Can't figure it out.

Thanks friends and stay strong.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As a smoker, I wish I hadn't bothered starting back in the 80s. I guess it's the lesser of all evils -I mean you don't get withdrawal seizures giving up the smokes right? Personally, I would say if you can avoid smoking PLEASE pull out of it while you can x
How about chewing gum? It works wonders for me when I have a stressful drive ahead of me
Old 11-04-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Flea:

I don't smoke, but I do smokeless tobacco (dip.) I started dipping back in high school / baseball team. When I decided to get sober, my dip intake tripled. I am now starting to taper it back a bit and hope to be tobacco free by Jan 1, 2015.

But to the point. I would rather dip than drink. My chances of killing someone dipping while driving versus drinking while driving...well...you get the point
Old 11-04-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MightyFlea21 View Post
I'm weirdly justifying it by sayin at least I not going to do stupid things like I did when I drank but why pick up another bad habit at all?? Can't figure it out.
Yes, that is a justification to smoke that really does not make sense. Both are bad for your health and addictive. I have an addictive personality and I am always trying to quit something...first it was smoking (quit after 20 years), then drinking, now it is coffee!

They say these are all mood altering substances. The issue is why do Ifeel the need to alter my mood? Perhaps that is what is happening with you?
Old 11-04-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Charlie - what IS smokeless tobacco?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chiffon:

Its dip. "Its a pinch between the cheek and gum" It comes in a round can. Its finely shaved tobacco leaves. I am sure its more popular in the US than the UK.

look up Copenhagen (not the country )
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, nobody was ever done (that I know of!!) for smoke-driving. But still I'd say to get rid of them if yo can before you become a full time smoker!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
Charlie - what IS smokeless tobacco?
It's also called snuff
Old 11-04-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fellow traveler

Originally Posted by MightyFlea21 View Post
Today marks week 2 of being sober and I'm feeling strong enough to keep that going but last week I bought a pack of smokes. I'm not really a smoker in general but felt I "needed" something to not crave alcohol. Not proud of my habit and I will quit but just can't figure out why I need a habit of any sort. Was curious if any of my friends on SR experienced anything like this.

Thanks friends and stay strong.
If you're an addict then it's in your nature to use addictive substances addictively. Why smoking? Any port in a storm. Proud or not proud is not relevant. Until (and even after, without constant vigilance) I developed a recovery program, I was very susceptible to using anything to feel better, even if I wasn't aware of feeling any kind of way.

I would suggest being patient with yourself, but not too patient. Smoking is easier to quit sooner than later.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
It's also called snuff
Oh that stuff you shove up your nose? no thanks
Old 11-04-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Chiffon:

Its dip. "Its a pinch between the cheek and gum" It comes in a round can. Its finely shaved tobacco leaves. I am sure its more popular in the US than the UK.

look up Copenhagen (not the country )
Oh right thanks - back when i was a kid - Dad used 'snuff' but over here it was sniffed.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No, I don't do the nasal snuff. Mine is specifically between the cheek and gum. haha

I agree with 2BOB. I have an addictive personality so I feel the need to do something. I am working on being addicted to chewing gum and not dip or alcohol...
Old 11-04-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
Oh that stuff you shove up your nose? no thanks
No you don't put it up your nose. You put it in your mouth between you lower gum and cheek. It sits there and the saliva interacts with it and then you spit out the juice. Pretty disgusting. The nicotine is absorbed through your cheek/gum. It also can cause cancer of the jaw/mouth.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it is disgusting Artfriend. My wife hates it and yes there is risk in continuing to do it. That's why I am weaning myself from it. My kids are on me about it to. But one thing at a time...
Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Read this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-gambling.html

Its about gambling but D's post is fitting
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I have an addictive personality and I am always trying to quit something...first it was smoking (quit after 20 years), then drinking, now it is coffee!
mmmm.....coffee....
Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cilldara View Post
Yeah, nobody was ever done (that I know of!!) for smoke-driving. But still I'd say to get rid of them if yo can before you become a full time smoker!
They are trying to ban smoking while driving, here on the mainland Cilldara - saying it's a 'distraction', which I guess is true x
Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by razor15 View Post
mmmm.....coffee....
Aye! They can take my booze but hell will freeze its knackers off before they take my coffee!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don't start smoking! Vaping is less harmful and addicting IME. I would do neither if I never had a nic addiction but if you really think it helps with alcohol urges you might give it a try.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No you don't put it up your nose. You put it in your mouth between you lower gum and cheek. It sits there and the saliva interacts with it and then you spit out the juice. Pretty disgusting. The nicotine is absorbed through your cheek/gum. It also can cause cancer of the jaw/mouth.
Ironically, I'm an ex oncology nurse - gave up to have kids, nothing to do with alcohol. Back then, we 'knew' but it wasnt taken that seriously (i'm 44)