Notices

Just wanted share a small win.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted share a small win.

I was so intent on having wine last night, I even logged onto our credit card to see if my wife had stopped at the local wine store or if I should stop, but she stopped. I was so sure I was going to have some, but to my surprise another voice popped in my head that said, nothing good comes from alcohol and I do not need alcohol in my life to live. I dismissed the thought, I knew I was to far down the road, I had made up my mind and I knew I was done when my wife asked if I would gab the chicken and WINE from the frig in the garage. I poured her glass and unbelievably I was able to give myself a wine timeout and had a seltzer and cranberry juice, all the while thinking that after this I would have a glass, but that little bit of time was all I needed to reevaluated my deep ingrained thought process and it occurred to me that the immediate rush would last only a minute or two and would be followed by deep regret for hours afterward and into today. So I won yesterday, as small as it sounds that was a first for me, baby steps. Today is a new day to recommit and not get complacent, I'm sure my AV will come back stronger after last night
Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done!

Might be helpful to look at why you felt like giving in on that day rather than other days.

Every victory over the AV the quieter it gets
Old 11-04-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can i ask please, what a 'seltzer' is? Over here we have medicne for upset tummies called 'Alka Seltzer', but i keep seeing this on SR - Seltzer I mean. - confused
Old 11-04-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to "play the tape forward", Magellan. Good going.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
Can i ask please, what a 'seltzer' is? Over here we have medicne for upset tummies called 'Alka Seltzer', but i keep seeing this on SR - Seltzer I mean. - confused
Seltzer water is sort of a carbonated, sparkling water.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! Way to get through, Magellan! Congratulations
Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Close call. Glad you made it through.

Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
...I even logged onto our credit card to see if my wife had stopped at the local wine store or if I should stop, but she stopped.
Our recovery isn't dependent on our spouses quitting, I know. That said, have you talked to your wife about your decision to quit and how difficult her drinking makes it for you?

I didn't ask my wife to quit drinking, but when she saw that I quit, it was nothing for her to stop drinking. I can count on one hand the number of times a year she has an alcoholic drink.

But if she drank nightly...I don't know how I'd deal with it.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Into rsting. I asked my w ife last weekend if she wanted a glass of wine to relax.
she told me it's not worth it because it may cause me to relapse.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job Megellan.

Every small victory leads to the prize. Congrats!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
I was so intent on having wine last night, I even logged onto our credit card to see if my wife had stopped at the local wine store or if I should stop, but she stopped.

another voice popped in my head that said, nothing good comes from alcohol and I do not need alcohol in my life to live.

I dismissed the thought, I knew I was to far down the road, I had made up my mind and I knew I was done

it occurred to me that the immediate rush would last only a minute or two and would be followed by deep regret for hours afterward and into today. So I won yesterday, as small as it sounds that was a first for me
Im so glad you didnt drink but have you Accepted that this is no longer an option ?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Carl, I have talked to her and she is supportive, I have also told her that I don't want her to give it up for me as I might then feel guilty that she can't do something and would possibly just have a glass with her and give in out of the guilt. I say supportive, as she thinks that "moderation" in everything is key and that this isn't a problem if I just cut back. I have pointed out the obvious, like when we open a bottle we tend to finish it and/or open another, that wine is like potato chips ...one is never enough, that we joke about the noise that emanates from our recycling bin every two weeks, etc etc. This is something I have been thinking about and am not sure how to move forward with, I had always thought I was the bad influence on her but as my thinking has cleared and I don't have anything at night, I am seeing she will have a few glasses of wine before, during and maybe after dinner still, with that said she can just not have any and give it up whenever. She has told me that I'm not "fun" Magellan any more and having wine isn't as fun. So I'm thinking that the longer I do w/o it maybe it is just one of those things that falls by the wayside. I'm new to this giving it up forever thing so I'll just move forward slowly and methodically Thanks for your insights they do provoke my thought process.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Soberwolf - yes. I had thought it was just willpower that would power me through but have come realize (through some reply posts on SR) that it is more about acceptance that I have a problem and acceptance that it will get worse if I don't tackle it now!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through!!