Broke up with alcoholic boyfriend after two year!!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broke up with alcoholic boyfriend after two year!!

I broke up with my boyfriend after two years today!! He is not working no job and lives with his mom he is 39!! He drinks beer daily and large bottles of voldka!! I always kept thinking if I just hang around he will get help and change!! Over the past two years he has never taken me to a nice restaurant or anything for that matter!! I have done everything for him!! His mom let's all of this continue because she does not want to live alone!! His drinking broke up his marriage!! I know now what I want in live someone who wants to build a life with me!! Not worry about where his next drink is coming from!! He has left me voice mail today saying he knows he messed up again with his drinking and still loves me not to do this to HIM!!! Selfish that's part of the disease!! I'm standing my ground and moving on with my LIFE!!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. Honestly, a guy who lives at home at 39, that's a red flag in itself.

I hope you continue to stand your ground
Old 11-03-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You've made a very sound decision and should feel good for looking out for yourself! One thing I've found through Alanon is that any type of relationship with an alcoholic can impact a person profoundly. Just because you weren't married doesn't mean it didn't effect you deeply. You might want to try a meeting to see if you benefit from learning about codependent tendencies so as not get into a cycle of repeating this scenario. Bravo on your decision! Stay strong.

(On a side note...it totally sounds like you've been dating my STBXH for the last two years! )
Old 11-03-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both!! I'm standing my ground this time no more chances!! I can't watch him kill himself anymore!!