Notices

effects

Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

effects

hi..i was wondering if anyone has faced the situation i'm now in.i was abstinent for two years but had a bit of a relapse on the crack but have now been abstinent again for six months.i'm fourty eight and never want too go back,the problem i face is the reactions of other people when they see me.i look years older than my age and my skin hangs off me and it doesnt seem too be recovering this time,it has made me feel like useing again but i dont want too,i know i have too accept what i'v done too myself physically and mentally its just so hard sometimes though.but crack took my life and destroyed it over and over again,i sometimes wish it had finished it.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums.

I know I looked pretty rough when I first sobered up. Sleep, exercise, good food and lots of water has made a big difference in my appearance.

48 is approaching the time most of us show our age a bit more anyway. Hang in there, you've done the right thing for your body.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

How you look on the outside is less important than how you feel on the inside. Are you eating well and getting exercise? Those can both be helpful.

I hope you stay sober.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do u go to meetings? Sometimes it helps to see others who have gone through the same thing you have gone through. We all have ravaged our bodies in some way with the disease of addiction. Hate the disease not yourself. We all are aging, different and beautiful on our own way.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be the best that you can be, dlloyd; maintain a healthy lifestyle - exercise, eat well, stay well hydrated.

Maybe seek a volunteer opportunity; there is nothing quite like helping others to help you see beyond yourself.

Be the person you want to be; eventually that will be the person that everyone sees.

Whatever you do, please don't pick up again.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't feel too bad, Dlloyd. Maybe it's just natural aging. I looked great till I was 45--then overnight I aged noticeably in the face. I noticed a huge decline in my body between 53 and 54. It grieves me, because there's not a darned thing I can do about it--it's just life.

I am harsher on myself than I am on anybody else. I truly see only what's within other people. Most people of true quality feel that way. Hang around other people who are actively getting sober. They are building themselves into deeper people as part of their recovery.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the replys..I drink plenty of water and exercise alsio eat healthier than I ever have,allthough not allways,the meetings I attend does'nt have anyone in my situation...i wont let it make me use again and i'l get used to the looks I suppose
Old 11-03-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you dlloyd welcome and well done on 6 months
Old 11-03-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yeh maybe they do soberwolf..i cant explain it but I just feel different inside this time..theres a lot of drug conversations in work and i'd b l feel iein if I saiid it didnt bother me but i feel more able to cope and they are allways try too get me too go out with them but i'v never really felt a massive pull .to go just use my toils if tempted
Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on sticking to your guns I'm sure you don't look anywhere near as bad as you think. It's that time of year here in the UK, where the nights are closing in and a lot of people go on a bit of a downer about all sorts of things. Well done on 6 months!!