Encounters that lifted me up

Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Encounters that lifted me up

Just wanted to share two recent encounters I had that left me feeling good.

The first one took place at a Dunkin Donuts. Last Sunday RAH and I took the dogs for a good long walk early in the AM, planning the route so we'd pass by a nearby Dunkin Donuts so we could get a coffee to share on the last leg of the hike, heading home. I went in for the coffee while RAH stayed outside w/the dogs. The place had just opened at 5, and I was there only a few minutes later. The young guy at the counter seemed like your typical, not-all-that-engaged sort of counter person you'd expect to meet in that place and time. However, I guess b/c I'm a Midwesterner and we do things like this a LOT, I started to chat w/him, commenting on the early hour, saying that I also worked early hours at a bakery, etc. He perked up like a dry plant when you water it and started telling me he was actually a night owl, not an early riser, but he needed a job and had to make this work out. I asked if he was in school, meaning college, but he took it to mean high school, and said "I look young but I'm 21. I've made some mistakes but I'm getting back on track, and this is the start." Then he went on to tell me of his plans for tech school, maybe for auto mechanics, maybe for welding. He was so animated and clearly excited by the choices and possibilities ahead of him!! Man, it was a wonderful thing to see. And just the way he said "I've made some mistakes...."--I hold out a lot of hope for this kid. After we'd been talking a while, someone else came in and I had to go so he could wait on them, but as I left, I wished him well from the bottom of my heart. I hope he stays strong and leaves those "mistakes", whatever they were, behind him.

The second encounter was less personal, involving the AA speaker at a joint Alanon/AA open meeting last night. He was also a young guy, only 22 years old but 5 years sober. The specifics of his story were what you'd expect, if you've been around this board or have done reading about A's and alcoholism. He was clearly nervous and a bit tongue-tied. The thing that came thru so abundantly for him, much more so than any one story he told, was just this sense of possibility, of choice, of hope, I guess, above all else. He told a story of applying for a job that required a background check and drug testing and how he just kind of paused and thought to himself "wow, who I WAS would never even have gotten this far, let alone passed the tests!" And that was basically repeated in each vignette, how he never could or would have done what he was able to do now. His recovery just shone from him!

I'm going to carry those 2 stories w/me for when I need a lift--I hope they warm your hearts as well. If you've got a good one yourself, please share it, too, OK?
Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think I need to hear things like this since things aren't going well with "Jr." at the moment. Thank you, honeypig! These are two wonderful stories I'm going to carry around for a while....
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Honeypig....here's one: At one time I was working in one of those big inner city emergency rooms. The kind where there are several gunshot wounds every day..LOL.
There was one young man who worked there as a tech. I enjoyed him so much. I would take my coffee breaks, etc. with him. He would always encourage me and pull me up when I was having a tough day. He knew how to inspire me.
His nick name was "Rage". I asked him how such a nice person could have such a dark name...?
He told me about growing up and being a gang m ember in New York City. Trust me..it wasn't a pretty story.
I asked him how he got out of that environment. He told me that one day he just realized that if he stayed he was g oing to die. It was leave (and go south) or die. "I guess I just didn't want to die".

That was a good while ago..but, I always remember "Rage". If he could change all that--H***, I can do anything!

dandylion
Old 11-03-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do a lot of sales at work so part of my job is chatting up the customers which is also something I really enjoy.

I had the pleasure of waiting on a young man of about 22 - 26 by the name Kevin. In conversation it came up that he was from another state so naturally I asked him if he liked it here and what brought him this way. Very confidently and without a trace of shame in his voice, he told me that he was a recovering alcoholic and addict. He came here for a recovery program and stayed to work at that same treatment center to help others like himself. He was so comfortable with himself and self assured. He gave me so much hope for my RAH. I will never forget Kevin.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dandy and Hopeful, thanks for the stories! It's so easy to get wrapped up in my own little world w/my own little problems--it just alters my whole outlook on life to see how others have pressed on and made good.

Like you said, Dandy, it gives a whole different perspective when you think of what some folks have had to overcome.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think one of the most important things in recovery is knowing & owning our own choices & these stories are a clear example of this.
Thanks for sharing