Notices

New comment

Old 10-26-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New comment

Hi. First time on here. My wife and I have both been big drinkers for 20 or more years, getting drunk nearly every day of the week, month in month out. My wife had recently started having a "left over" drink from the night before in the mornings.
After our 3 kids came around to pour their hearts out about how concerned they are for us we agreed that we would try to leave the drink aside. We are now on day 35 and feel good. Only cloud on the horizon is the fact that we have done this sort of time before but always seem to drift back to the booze eventually.
We're not worried about Christmas but we have an all inclusive drinks passage on a cruise in January. These holidays are always our worst times for getting "smashed". All day , every day. Any tips on how to keep off when the time comes?
Ian.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 35 days sober!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you blanderpip. I think it'll really help you to be here with us.

I drank for almost 30 yrs. and could never imagine my life without it. It was slowly killing me - I was completely dependent on it. I found SR for support & encouragement 7 yrs. ago. I haven't had a drink since. Everyone here understands and cares. We know you can do this.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Ian, welcome to the Forum!!

I used to slip back into drinking sooner or later too, until I figured out that I needed to do more than simply not drink, that just created a lot of time sitting around bored.

Instead I needed to change up my lifestyle, fill my time with new activities, new interests, this cruise for example isn't going to be a lot of fun simply sitting around with too much time on your hands, when what you'd usually be doing would be hitting the bar.

Carving out a life as a "non drinker" I discovered was more than not drinking, I needed to create a life that was enjoyable without alcohol, and by doing that there was no need to go back to drinking!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 35 days to you both & Welcome to the forum
Old 10-26-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by blanderpip View Post
Hi. First time on here. My wife and I have both been big drinkers for 20 or more years, getting drunk nearly every day of the week, month in month out. My wife had recently started having a "left over" drink from the night before in the mornings.
After our 3 kids came around to pour their hearts out about how concerned they are for us we agreed that we would try to leave the drink aside. We are now on day 35 and feel good. Only cloud on the horizon is the fact that we have done this sort of time before but always seem to drift back to the booze eventually.
We're not worried about Christmas but we have an all inclusive drinks passage on a cruise in January. These holidays are always our worst times for getting "smashed". All day , every day. Any tips on how to keep off when the time comes?
Ian.

If you are willing and desirous above all else to stay stopped it is possible. If in the back of your mind you are thinking you'll drink again at some point then there is really no magic.

Sobriety requires more than just stopping. It's work - sounds like your family shoul be the ultimate motivator. It was for me to this point!

Glad you're here!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi blanderpip

I'd probably try for a refund or a transfer to either a sober cruise or one where the cost of alcohol is prohibitive

D
Old 10-26-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, blanderpip! Keep reading and posting. And congratulations on 35 days to you and your wife. That is awesome!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey blanderpip, welcome & congrats on the 35 days! You've found a great site for support.

Stopping booze is not the easiest thing in the beginning, but as I'm sure you've heard- it does get easier. I feel one of the biggest keys is to try and reinvent yourself. I, too, was a very heavy drinker for over 20 years, so I can appreciate some of your concerns.

Spend some time in here, and as you read through many of the posts, I think you'll see that most of us also have (had) the same type of concerns. Hopefully you'll find some ideas that will help you.

Towards my later part of the drinking, I was also having a few 'snips' in the morning, mainly to help quash the shakes. I think at that point it's best to get your arms around things, as they will only escalate from there.

Hope to see you in here often!
Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Blanderpip, welcome. If your cruise is going to be difficult for you, it might be best to cancel, as Dee said.

It would be a shame to undo all the work you have both already put in. And at some point in the future, you would only have to go through it all again.

The trouble with alcoholism is that it gets worse over time ,and from what I've read, withdrawals get worse too.

Glad you found us, there is tons of support and great resources here.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. We really do feel different this time. We haven't just stopped for say, 5 weeks. This time we haven't put a limit on how long we are going to be sober because this time we are serious.
It's now day 61 and I do get encouraged by so many comments on here. Thanks. We are going to get through the cruise enjoying non alcoholic cocktails and OJ and fizzy water!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats on 35 days.
Rebook that cruise to something dry. There are sober cruises I think. Or just cancel it and find something else to do. Really!

Waking up and finishing last night's drink? Many here have done that. Be glad you're not at the picking up a can of beer and taking a swig with mold on top of it. Yeah, I've done that more than once.

OOPS, I missed your latest post. doh! I would still consider not going on the cruise. Congrats on your sober time and commitment.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 61 days sober!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not hard at all to get through a Cruise sober. There is so much going on and so many activities to choose from, or not, that I have never even given a thought to drinking. I found the best evening activity on a Cruise was walking on the deck and watching the endless amount of stars in the sky. For a city girl, that's really a treat.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 61 days blanderpip

D
Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Congratulations on 61 days sober, to both of you