Notices

I told my 10 year last night

Old 10-24-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I told my 10 year last night

Hi all,
My fiancé and I talked about telling my 10 year son that I was quitting drinking yesterday. I decided I wanted to for several reasons. That night at dinner I brought it up to my son like this, "So you know when we stop at the store in the evenings and weekends and I get wine? Then later I look really sleepy and sometimes ask you the same question twice and stuff? Well I decided I wanted a healthier lifestyle and I'm not going to do that anymore. What do you think?"

He beamed, "I didn't really mind just wish we could go more places." I said, "Me too, me too." And we smiled and laughed. For me this was a really huge and positive step.

I would love to hear your opinion or story on this subject. Happy sober Saturday to everyone!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's amazing!! I don't have kids, but my dad was an alcoholic, so I get how huge this is!!

I'm very happy for you!!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have made a great decision to stop drinking.

I can only tell you my opinion.

I didn't say anything to anyone, just let people see the changes. I think there could possibly be a risk that your child will be upset if you relapse, but hopefully that won't happen.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yikes, sorry about the thread title typo. It looks like I can't edit that part of the post.

Thanks guys!! It was really strange. I got this huge frog in my throat and felt like I was telling on myself. If that makes sense, haha.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is great. it is a huge blessing that he didn't seem to notice how impaired and non-engaged you must have been.

My kids were older when i started drinking seriously, and older when i quit. I thought because I drank in the daytime, while everybody else was at school or work, that I had them all fooled. When i told them that I was giving up drinking for good, they were unanimously thrilled! My secret drunkenness had apparently had a much bigger impact than I had realized.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anna, yeah, that for sure was and is a concern of mine and I thought hard about that. I've been really working hard towards this since June and feel like he was part of final steps.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree Gilmer, I feel incredibly lucky. Most of my "beyond s*** faced" moments would happen after I would tuck him in. Still scary for the both of us though.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Told my 10 y/o as well that I was quitting to be healthier.

He knew I used to drink, and knows why I stopped. No way I'm going back on that promise to my family and myself.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think that's great! Now you will be building up so many good memories. He sounds like a cute kid.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

I have 4 kids, my younger 3 don't really understand but my 12 year old daughter knows, she was very mad at me for so long for drinking. She wouldn't talk to me for 5 days when I was in the hospital but we did have a really great talk and she knows I'm sick and am trying to get better and that I will be spending so much more time, and quality time at that with the kids. Kids know, even if you hadn't sat him down and told him what was going on, they know.
My kids tell me every morning, mom don't drink. That is a HUGE factor in me staying sober, I've missed out on so much of their lives, yeah the 3, 3 hour treatment sessions a week for 12 weeks is gonna suck but they know that once I get through this, they will have their mom back.

oh and I've already saved almost $200 in 8 days, I'm bringing my kids to the mall tonight, youngest ones to build a bear and oldest to her stores. I never could do that before because all our $ went to me drinking and smoking.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey MissOverIt,

Sounds like there's no doubt that you're committed to this change. That's a huge move in the right direction. Congrats!

Personally, I think it's great that you shared this with your son, for a couple of reasons.

First, perhaps he'll learn from this and make smart decisions down the road, if / before they become a problem for him when he's older. He's only 10, but you never know.

Second, I'd almost take this as a promise of sorts, which might make you think twice should you consider having another glass of wine.

Again, congrats.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job on reclaiming your life MissOverIt. I waited until my son was grown to finally quit - wish I had done what you're doing.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience, MissOverIt! Your son sounds like a great kid! And congratulations on your decision--you won't ever regret it!

I told my boys, knowing that once I did, there was no "taking back" my decision to quit. They were 10 and 11 at that time. I approached it the same way you did--wanting a healthier lifestyle. They seemed happy, but my older son also appeared to be somewhat cautiously optimistic (I think he internalized a lot). I have no regrets in having had this conversation with them, but, as Anna said, the best gift is letting people see the changes for themselves. I know that life has improved immensely for my boys--they finally get the mom they deserve!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Super cute kid! Extremely funny and kind.

Yes, absolutely a promise. I could of said this same thing to him all the times I told myself but I suppose deep down I knew the odds were that I'd fail us both. Had to get sick of failing myself before I could even imagine putting him there. But trust me, my boozing failed him in other types of ways. Ugh.

Thanks everyone for the amazing support!!

Last edited by MissOverIt; 10-24-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank everyone.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Possibly loosing the newly formed relationship I now have with my daughter since I quit is one of the top reasons I will never pick up again. Wishing you all the best!!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My kids were in their teens when I was drinking and then finally quit. They were delighted, but wary, as I'd 'quit' several times before. It took a while to earn back their trust, but now our relationships are better than ever.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety !
Old 10-25-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I was about that age, I'd been sent to live with my aunt and uncle and cousins for a year. My parents were divorced and I seldom saw my dad.

I remember asking my older cousin how to spell alcoholic, so I could write my dad to ask him to stop being one.

I don't remember why I was writing that letter or if someone had told me he was an alcoholic.... But I remember a lot of drinking and I remember my dad not being there a lot.

And that stuff left wounds I am still dealing with.

You are doing a Very Good Thing.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Finnish Anti-Drinking Ad Shows How Kids See Their Drunk Parents.