Notices

picked up a white chip tonight

Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

picked up a white chip tonight

Today is day 1 for me.

I know I need to get this under control soon because I moved into my mom's second house that she was renting to a family for the past 5 years, but they moved out right around the time that I was getting kicked out of my apartment. So I figured I would move into the house and find a roommate. (This was before I made the decision that I needed to quit drinking) I don't have many friends and I don't know anyone who is looking for a room to rent so I figured I would find a roommate online. On Craigslist, Roomster.com, or similar website.

I have been living in this 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom house by myself since July. I haven't put a whole lot of effort into finding a roommate because if I want to quit drinking, I will need a roommate who does not drink or do drugs. But I cant expect a sober person to want to live with me if I am still drinking, which I have been.

So being in this limbo place in my life, where I am still drinking but know I need to quit, is making it impossible for me to get a roommate. If I get a normal roommate who does drink, I will not have a hope at quitting. And since I have not quit yet, I cannot expect a sober person to live with me.

But my moms mortgage is a LOT more then what I am paying her for rent. So she is losing a TON of money having me in this house without a roommate. If I hadn't moved in here, she could have rented it out to another family and be getting the full rent that she needs.

I am scared that it will get to a point where she decides that she needs more money then I have been paying for rent and I have had long enough to get a roommate and have not. And she will make me move out.

If that happens, I think I will have to move back home (3 1/2 hours south of where I live now), which I really don't want to do.

This situation is what is giving me the sense of urgency that I HAVE to quit NOW. That it cant wait any longer. I cant drink for another couple months, or even weeks, before I decide I am ready to give it up. If I didn't have this roommate situation to worry about I might be able to put off quitting for a while. Maybe get threw the holidays first (cause being in early recovery during the holidays seems really stressful).

Maybe it is good that I have something to make me feel urgency to quit. I just hope I can do it and stick to it and find a sober roommate before my mom makes me move out of the house.

Sorry this is long winded, I just needed to vent about my situation.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations on going to a meeting! Ask around at AA if anyone knows of someone sober looking for a place to live.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations and onward to day #2!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is my plan. I think I might have luck finding someone if I start going to more meetings and actually talk to people before and after instead of leaving right away. But I know that people there will not want to recommend a sober friend of theirs to be my roommate if I cant prove that I can quit drinking and stay quit. I think I need to get a little sober time to prove myself before I can start asking them to help with my roommate situation.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Fear ran my life for many years. Fear of the things I was doing and not doing. Removing alcohol from my daily existence has banished fear. I do not regret the past nor will I worry about tomorrow.

I stay sober and focus on today, build my faith and turn my problems over to my higher power. Following this simple program has helped me and countless others.

Keep going to meetings and breathe!! Give yourself some time and the answers will come. Just don't drink worrying about everything or worries become self fulfilling prophecies.

Glad your here, relax - your home.

Peace
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi It'sMe

To be honest I think you have more pressing reasons to quit than finding a roommate, but whatever gets you to the chair you need to be in is fine.

I was once in a similar situation - I didn't find a roommate, and eventually my parents sold the house because the tremendous upkeep was not offset at all by my meagre and scattered rental offerings.

things got a lot worse for me after that.

D
Old 10-23-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good Luck
Old 10-23-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great stuff!! You can do this!!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dee74, what made you unable to find a roommate? Where you still drinking at the time and were you looking for a normal roommate or a sober roommate?
And how did things get worse for you after your parents sold the house?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is no better time to quit than now.

I agree that quitting took away the fear I was living with. Alcohol causes fear and anxiety.

Taking a sober roommate will help you stay quit. It's "your" house, so you can lay down the rules. Any roommate right now would take a load off your mind. Don't wait for the holidays to quit - you might not make it that far.

Are you working? Ask around at work.