Notices

1 month and counting... my new diary thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 month and counting... my new diary thread

My SR People what's uuuuuupp?

1 month sober TODAY! This is, by far, my personnal record of the past 10 years or so... Tried to stop SO MANY TIMES before but couldn't do much more then 4-5 days... then the withdrawal symptoms where unbearable...

What's the difference this time? THIS BOARD (checking-in and reading your stories evryday) I know I used to participate a little more, but I'm still here everyday... AND.... also the fact that this time, I take this much more seriously!!

SO, 1 month... here's my little resume:

First 4 days, withdrawal symptoms of shaking, shivering and sweating... but I felt strong to hold-on this time... almost no sleep for 3 days! lol!

First weekend WAS HELL ON EARTH for me, wanted a drink SO BAD, I cried many times (I cry all the time! lol!)

Second week was OK, insomnia and night sweats all week, but feeling better between my 2 ears, felt like I was going strong...

Second weekend: HELL AGAIN! but realise a lot of things about myself and I was starting to see my old self coming back slowly... I was laughing more, had amazing times with my kids and realising I was 100% there with them gave me so much strenght...

3rd week: felt in amazing shift in my metabolism... energy levels where through the roof even if I was still having troubles with sleeping (or falling asleep should I say) At the gym, i was on FIRE!! 3hrs + unstopable workouts! crazy crazy energy levels... realise I lost around 7 pounds on the scale... I also almost had a drink because of the AV that was strong!! feeling strong can be tricky and can make you think that you could be a ''normal'' ''social'' drinker... NO NO NO!

3 rd weekend: what... this was the weekend? no battle against my addiction AT ALL! have I recovered already? NO! I'm just learning so much about my new life that I'm getting really good at dealing with situations where alcohol is around...

4th week: Days go by and I'm not thinking about getting a drink... ever... I even question myself if I was an alcoholic in the first place but I remember how I was loosing control over my drinking a month ago and it was getting worst and worst with the years... All the withdrawal symptoms are gone, sleeping is normal, I feel free, happy and strong... I still feel the anxiety of the holidays in 2 months, where alcohol will be everywhere...

So here I am... everytime I come here, I feel like I'm throwing another punch at my addiction... I love the feeling!

Learning to live my life without alcohol make me realise how happy and lucky I am to have this amazing life... I have perfect kids, a perfect business as a job that I'm passionate about, a perfect wife that understands and support me...

I will say something that scared me at first: I will never drink again!

I will always manage a way to keep my guards up and I will always remember how miserable my life was when I was drinking almost every night... and the ugly guilt feeling the next morning.... NEVER AGAIN!

Thank you all for being present, for being here with me, for understanding and for being so kind and for dealing with this frenchy guy that as an horrible english! hahaha!

And here's a coming out: AlexemK is for my kids: Alexia and Emrik... I'm Ben!

I'll right replies to this thread when I will want to get stuff out of my system, so thank you for accepting that this thread will pop up once in a while... I also like to read myself, my old threads, to make I never forget where I was and what I went through!

Ben
Old 10-20-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great stuff Ben! I am super happy for you, your wife, and your kids....
Old 10-20-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beautiful!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

1 Month is Awsome Alex well done
Old 10-20-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome, Ben! I love your posts...your enthusiasm is contagious! Thanks for the inspiration, and congratulations on your sober time!!!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your month Ben

D
Old 10-20-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic Ben!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Ben!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats. I'm beginning week 4, and the difference at the gym is great.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first month Ben.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done indeed, Ben. You're being a great dad in doing this.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 35 today

And the AV is talking to me all the time lately... Not to drink at this very moment, but to have a few when the holidays come... I don't want to, really... and I won't!! I will manage a way to open my eyes on the 2nd of January 2015 and still be alcohol free!! but it's going to be hard... I feel it in advance! I try to focus my mind somewhere else, I tell myself that it's in 2 months and I have plenty of time to work on some strategies to withdraw myself from some situations, but it's always on my mind... It's really going to be my first holidays alcohol free since I drink (20 years or so!) and usualy, I drink every day from december 23rd to january 2nd and I have multiple situations and events to drink..... I'll say ''no thank you'' many times... one at the time... I'm just affraid to feel so much pressure that I'll listen to my AV that says:''**** it, let's have a few for other people to shut-up and you'll be back sober on january 2nd with no problems''

I strongly and truly don't want this to happen!!

On the other hand, in the present, I noticed, in the beginning of the week, that I have problems with my memory... I'm looking for words when I speak... a lot! I struggle everyday and in my job, I speak ALL THE TIME!! it bugs me quite a bit!! I know it's all part of the PAWS symptoms of withdrawal from alcohol, but it's really affecting me this week...

One day at a time....

Happy sober day people!!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 35 Alex
Old 10-24-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a month!

Brilliant
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

inspirational, Ben, thank you for posting and well done. You describe your struggles beautifully.

You' ll be ok over the holidays, no- one else will care whether you drink or not, it's big on your mind but not in anyone else's. As long as they can drink, they won't give a s**t.

Onwards and forwards !
Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mpr

Good job Ben, Was following your log when you started. Nice to see you sitting at day 35 as we approach a weekend! Have a great weekend from another fellow canadian!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on day 35 Ben, you're doing brilliantly.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your enthusiasm is awesome! Keep strong. ������������������
Old 10-24-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job! Be sure to stay humble and never forget what you are. I forgot and relapsed after 5.5 years. Not trying to be Debbie Downer....I just don't want that to happen to you.

I saw a few red flags in your post. Just be careful! Your disease is still hiding and waiting for a weak moment to attack!

I just care...that's why I tell the truth!

Anyway....congrats on 30 days! That's a big accomplishment!!! Keep it up! The longer you stay sober the easier it becomes.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery