Notices

Tomorrow will not come......guaranteed

Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Tomorrow will not come......guaranteed

Someday!

In the last few days it seems SR has been very busy with newcomers. One of the most common issues posted by many is regret of the past and fear of the future.

Today, my wife was skyping 3 yr old grandson. What are you doing, she asked him. Eatin peanut butter toast! Oh, nice. What are you going to do today?

Eat peanut butter toast......

A child's innocence is the essence of living for Today. No regrets of yesterday, no fear of tomorrow. What a wonderful existence.

But, alas we all grow up. Dealing with adult issues is slightly more complicated than being three.

I thought perhaps it might be useful to newcomers to share what we have learned about living in the moment, for today. Specifically how is this accomplished and how do we deal with regret of the past and fear of the future.

For me, it's not perfect by any means. Still a work in progress, but much better than it ever was being drunk.

When we drive we don't look in the rearview mirror, typically. It's there but only serves the purpose of seeing what's behind us. One day our tomorrows will indeed be over for all reading this.

I simply choose not to be afraid ( worry ) about tomorrow. By no means am I suggesting we simply sit and wait for it to come, there are plans in place for sure. But, WHEN they vary - I don't drink over it and relish what the new day will bring. A gift as yet unwrapped!

Making amends, where possible is something I do when the time is right. Stating I was wrong( not sorry ) about what I did or said, or paying money that is owed are important in these efforts. I do not go off half cocked with these though. Also, by not drinking I make living amends daily to those close by I love.

The greatest gift, for me in sobriety is living today! undrunk, not hungover, with a couple extra bucks in my pocket. It really is an incredible feeling to be in this place - Today!

For others, how do you live in today and deal with regret of the past and fear of the tomorrow?? If you could go back in time(early sobriety) and tell yourself one thing about living today, what would that be?

Maybe this will help those brand new to SR as these feelings are very common for those just starting out here.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most of the things kids say are so true and innocent. They live life for today, and dont worry about tomorrow unless of course they have a birthday!

Very cool insights tho!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Flynbury you sir are amazing
Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Flynbury you sir are amazing
back at ya
Old 10-14-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

I like this post. It's very easy to get wrapped up in regret and lose focus, especially early in the process.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

so simple eh?

I'd like to eat peanut butter toast everyday. Smart kid.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was very inspirational, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My grandchildren are a huge inspiration to me.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes I think our intelligent minds can be our own downfall, ignorance is bliss as they say, when we learn to stress, fear and worry, look into the future, regret the past, life can become a real struggle, take all that away and life would be a whole lot more straightforward!!

A far cry from peanut butter toast!!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much flynbuy, yesterday fear/worry about the future overwhelmed me for a bit. I really appreciate your post.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Sometimes I think our intelligent minds can be our own downfall, ignorance is bliss as they say, when we learn to stress, fear and worry, look into the future, regret the past, life can become a real struggle, take all that away and life would be a whole lot more straightforward!!

A far cry from peanut butter toast!!

Well stuck PK! Yes, too much thinking was / is one of my biggest challenges in sobriety. Knowledge is great, but ACTION is the ticket!

And, what's the song.....don't start thinking about tomorrow, don't start it'll soon be here - yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone.

Always smooth pk...
Old 10-15-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
And, what's the song.....don't start thinking about tomorrow, don't start it'll soon be here - yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone.
Great original post on this thread. Some really insightful stuff. Thank you for posting.

And I love Fleetwood Mac - all the songs have great lyrics.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You have to plan for tomorrow, but it is clearly impossible to live in tomorrow. Recently I have been trying to live in the day by getting as much done on a positive note as is possible to do in a day. Historically I would look forward to an activity in the future, and sort of hibernate in the present waiting for the future event. Then when the future arrived, I had the event on such a high pedestal that invariable it sucked. It might have been okay, but compared to my expectations it sucked.

Now I enjoy more because I can see more. When you are not drinking you can see more since neither your sight, nor your perspective is blinded by the drink. Seriously, when drinking a lot my sight was about 10 feet from my head, and perspective about 10 minutes out. Nothing better than siting somewhere and sucking it in not worrying about the prep work for drinking. There is a lot of prep work in drinking, I mean a lot. Now
I have time to enjoy what I am doing, and just enjoy it!

Same can be said IRT to tomorrow in the context of making changes. I will drink today,,,, but tomorrow I will stop, that tomorrow never comes.

Thanks Fly
Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As I was reading this, my 8 year old said, "I need a robot dance party break from my homework." Obviously!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
As I was reading this, my 8 year old said, "I need a robot dance party break from my homework." Obviously!
THAT'S AWESOME!!!
Love it