Notices

Stress, Triggers and the constant cycle!

Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering

Stress, Triggers and the constant cycle!

Hey guys,

Im writing on here because I have been feeling very down the past 2 days due to having a big binge weekend (2 nights in a row) and now I've missed 2 days of work and am struggling to feel joy and not guilty.

The last 2 nights I have gone to bed really late (due to not feeling tired) around 3am and then I sleep for aggges I mean like 9 - 10 hours and get up feeling lethargic and down.

My dad comes home when I am trying to relax and recover and yells and it instantly sends me into stress mode and makes me agitated so today I went left the house straight away and went to the gym instead of meeting a friend for a drink.

I have a good friends wedding on this weekend and am almost considering not going if it wasn't for all the money I've payed for accommodation! also I'm trying to eat a bit healthier and stop smoking during the week (have been having few puffs of an e-ciggarette) which seems a lot better than smoking actual ciggaretts which i tend to only do when I'm drinking.

Anyways guys, Im stuck in a rut of it coming into summer and there being lots of events on and Im going on Holidays soon.. I think I need to accept that this is a lifestyle change that has to be made and whilst I may have a depressing boring summer. I will try my best to stay away from drink and just exercise and be healthier.

This place has been a great place for support and I would suggest it to anyone who's looking for help!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I need to accept that this is a lifestyle change that has to be made and whilst I may have a depressing boring summer. I will try my best to stay away from drink and just exercise and be healthier.
Hi Drknz

I think you're right about the lifestyle changes...my old life was drink sodden - it was all about the drink.

You can't get sober in a life like that - leastways I couldn't.

I think you're wrong about it being depressing tho

you don;t need to become a hermit...you just need to do some thinking outside the box and find things to do that don't involve alcohol.

If your current crop of mates won't come along, then find new mates. Seriously.
My old mates were all drinking buddies and well...boofheads. (buffoons may be the non aussie equivalent.)

If that's true for you too, you can do better

D
Old 10-14-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

I couldn't do half the stuff I do if I was looking out the bottom of a bottle. The trip to the gym worked think what else you can do.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! Do you think you'll be able to go to the wedding and not drink? Especially if you've paid to stay there overnight so can't make an escape and go home? Think you need to get a plan in place
Old 10-14-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I was trying to get sober without getting a full night's sleep, I believe it would be impossible. I know you're not tired before 3 a.m. (which sucks, btw!) but is there ANY way you can start to recalibrate your sleep schedule so it's more in line with your dad's? That would be an amazing lifestyle change that would put you more in line with a normal schedule (and your dad wouldn't be yelling at you for sleeping all day). Take good care, and best of luck to you.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober
Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Drknz

I think you're right about the lifestyle changes...my old life was drink sodden - it was all about the drink.

You can't get sober in a life like that - leastways I couldn't.

I think you're wrong about it being depressing tho

you don;t need to become a hermit...you just need to do some thinking outside the box and find things to do that don't involve alcohol.

If your current crop of mates won't come along, then find new mates. Seriously.
My old mates were all drinking buddies and well...boofheads. (buffoons may be the non aussie equivalent.)

If that's true for you too, you can do better

D
Originally Posted by MavisTheFairy13 View Post
Hi! Do you think you'll be able to go to the wedding and not drink? Especially if you've paid to stay there overnight so can't make an escape and go home? Think you need to get a plan in place

I can try my best, however I do suffer mild anxiety around large crowds and people I don't know due to drinking and the easiest cure is to have a beer or two. All my friends are good guys and I have known them for 10+ years (I don't blame them for my drinking) as I'm the one who tends to drink the most out of the lot of them and don't wanna lose them. They do tend to drink when they party but I feel its me who always goes out n carries on drinking.

Im gonna try my best not to give in at the wedding, however their all going out that night and no doubt they will be banging on the door to get me to come :headband (don't want a hangover saturday!)
Old 10-15-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're not willing to give up your mates thats your call, but you're making it exponentially harder imo.

If you want change you need to make change. There's no shortcuts there.

the easiest cure is to have a beer or two.
when you factor everything in I wonder if it is the easiest cure tho Drknz?

Maybe looking at other ways to deal with social anxiety could help?
Ever thought of counselling?

D