Notices

Outer Order Contributes to Inner Calm

Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Outer Order Contributes to Inner Calm

When my emotions feel scattered, it helps to focus my energy on organizing and decluttering my physical environment. Today, I'm cleaning out my computer/junk room and will be turning it into a yoga/reading room. I found some great tips for getting started on the BecomingMinimalist website. The article is called 10 Creative Ways to Declutter Your Home.

I would love to hear if any of you have created a space at home for relaxation. Any tips, design ideas, or other online resources?

(There quite possibly is another area on the boards to post this. If so, thanks in advance for sending me in the right direction. SR has so many great resources. I'm discovering new sections every day.)
Happy peace-seeking!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not so much *a* space but my old place was always very cluttered...I dumped a lot of things before moving in here.

I like the space and flow through...and I don't trip over stuff

D
Old 10-12-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im in the middle of renovating my home gots lots done feels great doing stressful sometimes but totally worth it

i think you might like feng shui in the home ? (moving/rearranging to make peaceful space)
Old 10-12-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I liked making my room a haven when I quit drinking. I decluttered it, strung up some twinkly white lights, nice sheets and new jammies....made me feel relaxed....still does.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've never liked clutter and in fact when I was interested in little else but drinking, I became extremely minimalistic especially in one of my apartments (I have moved around a lot): living out of boxes, sleeping on a mattress on the floor, not caring about organizing my living space to make it look and feel like a home at all. I just wanted my computer, something to sleep/sit on, and my booze. I had 1-2 bedroom apartments living this way... awful! Now it's infinitely better, but just these days I am looking for a new apartment and have a lot of thoughts on how I would like to organize and decorate it. One idea is exactly what you have: a corner "designated" for yoga and meditation as I am quite into these things. But first need to find the place

Go for it, Conquest, I also think it's a very rewarding process to create a pleasant environment where we can truly relax. I have a tendency that when I want to "escape" I tend to escape into my mind and all sorts of theoretical exercises, and pulling myself back into the physical and practical world is one of the best remedies to re-balance. There is nothing better than being at home both in the mental and physical worlds, in a harmonious way.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe it's because I'm realizing that being in my regular environment is a trigger...old daily routines and habits die hard. The idea of living in a whole new space is very appealing right now. I'm thankful for what I have, but I'm looking forward to change.

Soberwolf, I've always thought of feng shui as being hippy dippy stuff. But now I'm curious to see if there's something to it. I checked out an e-book and will keep y'all posted.

Pondlady, I just ordered some comfy jammies today. A girl's gotta treat herself at the end of a long day!

Thanks for the posts everyone. It feels good to focus on the positives lately.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it is important to NOT live in a complete jumble.

Spiritually speaking though ... all the evidence points the other way.

"As within, so without"

(this simple phrase crops up in different forms through 5000 years of recorded spiritual writings)

In other words, we make peace within ourselves & the external world loses it's sway over us.

Just to re-iterate ... I do not condone living in a jumble. That is your personal space and you have control over that.

As within, so without enables you to not need order & tidiness outside of your personal space, in order to be able to function where you have no control over how that space is kept.