What do family support groups do?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What do family support groups do?

Hi all,
I am very new on here and very new to thinking about myself needing support with everything.
My partner has had a lifetime of substance abuse of all kinds. When we got together, he was clean. He relapsed into an addiction to synthetics - went into a social detox and came out and stayed clean for a while. Now he is about to enter medical detox for the same problem - 4 days away. I have just barely been hanging on. I walk around keeping our lives going while being on the verge of tears constantly. I have started a blog to vent it out - makingitworkwithhim.blogspot but don't share with other people because at some point he is going to get sober again and he will need them to treat him normally and not judge him.

At a recent meeting to organise his aftercare plan, his counsellor said he was going to refer me to their family support people. They called and left a message later that day asking if I wanted support.

I guess I don't really get it. My problem is that my partner is an addict and needs treatment and in the mean time I am working too hard trying to keep everything going. What exactly can they do to help me? I don't really like talking to new people - so the idea doesn't appeal really.... but is it something I should be doing?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt the same way for a long time with my alcoholic ex. His drinking was THE PROBLEM and HE was the one who needed help.
It wasn't until I spent some time reading here that it dawned on me that I was 50% of the dysfunctional equation. Most people don't tie themselves in knots and run themselves ragged trying to make a go of things with a lifelong addict, convincing themselves that if the partner would stop using/drinking things would be hunky dory.
I needed help too. I attend Alanon meetings, which has helped me to see how my choices and behavior were contributing to my unhappiness.
What do you have to lose by going?