Me First This Time

Old 10-02-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me First This Time

So here I was--minding my business at work and and an email comes in about this professional development program--I look at it, think--oh I was going to to do this other thing that week with my boyfriend (who I'm not even sure I'm still going to be together with by the time this comes)--don't get me wrong, the thing with my boyfriend I something I also really want to do, but it's purely recreational. On the other hand, this program is a week long immersion--and it's highly coveted in my profession--to the point where some of the really good jobs (jobs I'm not quite qualified for) have it listed as a "desired qualification" in their listing.

This program could *really* help my career if I get chosen to participate--which in itself is a long-shot, but you never know until you try, right? So anyway, at first, I totally dismiss it--well there's not a lot of professional development money available at work and I'll have to pay for myself, my boyfriend's expecting to go to the DCI finals that week, blah blah blah excuses. About a half hour later, I'm like, "you know what? I'm applying for this program."

Even though it's a decent chunk of money, I have it now, and chances are, I'll have it then. And this could be a serious bargaining chip for another job--possibly the tenure track job that I've always dreamed I'd get--which is a big, big deal in my profession. So I'm applying. If I can give myself this gift, it would really do a lot of good--and I have no real reason not to do it. I know that a professional development immersion program doesn't *sound* like a gift, but I'm so into my job and getting better at it that it really is.

So I just wanted to share--because I feel like I'm doing some things wrong with the whole boyfriend situation, and that I'm not quite ready to deal with that--but I want to do something that just purely and simply for me--even though it feels selfish--I'm going to choose to ignore that idea--I know that codependent stuff talking. I deserve this.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Search4Serenity.....You have every good reason to do it. And, no good reason not to do it!

If your boyfriend objects he does not have your welfare as a high priority. If you decline--in favor of him it would indicate, also, that you don't have yourself as a high enough priority.

I say go....and enjoy...

dandylion
Old 10-02-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Search4Serenity.....You have every good reason to do it. And, no good reason not to do it! If your boyfriend objects he does not have your welfare as a high priority. If you decline--in favor of him it would indicate, also, that you don't have yourself as a high enough priority. I say go....and enjoy... dandylion
thanks dandy! if I can manage to get chosen for it, I'm going!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You GO girl! Any step toward improving oneself is a good thing!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
S4S, Yes, if you want to go you should go. That's reason enough.

But, there are also very practical reasons why any person, especially a woman, should take every opportunity to advance their career. The fact that you enjoy your career is really just gravy. The truth is you need to do this. It's a no brainer. There's nothing selfish about it, unless you consider planning for ones retirement, or financial security selfish. Heck, I would go so far as to say you don't have a choice!!!! Go, and have a great time knowing that you're investing in yourself.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks SeriousKarma and you're right--it's something I need to do. I will apply and if I get chosen, I will go. It's very competitive, but I'll never know if I don't throw my hat into the ring.