Notices

The Last 'first' Day of Sobriety

Old 09-28-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Last 'first' Day of Sobriety

I have made promises in days and weeks past to stay sober, but continue to let myself and others down. I am hoping to find the knowledge and support here to make today different.

They say take it one day at a time and I do - I keep telling myself this will be the last evening that I drink, but then the very next day I am starting the cycle all over again. I have been drinking too heavily for years, but in recent months it has become far, far too excessive.

My willpower when it comes to alcohol is non-existent! My husband gets so angry with me for continuing to drink night after night - I don't blame him. Sober tonight, only because it is Sunday and the liquor store is closed - ha ha!

I have great children, wonderful husband, a career and from the outside (usually) look like I have everything together. Any ideas on how I can truly get it together would be a blessing! Can one truly beat this without attending rehab or AA? Opinions please!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, Welcome!

Yes, you can beat this without rehab or AA if you are motivated. Both of those are good tools, but there are many of us here who follow a variety of programs. For me, SR has been my lifeline for years.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, sunnygrl, to SR. There is a wealth of information about alcoholism on this site; have a look around. Most importanty, you will find SR 's members to be supportive, encouraging and understanding.

Yes, it is possible to beat alcoholism without AA or rehab but I wouldn't rule either one out if need be. Many people have achieved and maintained sobriety with active participation at SR. Others have used AVRT or Rational Recovery. The key is to find what works for you.

Again, welcome; glad you found SR.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have been sober for going on five years now, with the help of daily visits to SR and sessions with my counselor. What method you use to get sober doesn't matter, it's how much effort you put into it.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunnygrl View Post
Can one truly beat this without attending rehab or AA? Opinions please!
Welcome! I know what you are going through. I wanted to address your question. I think you could do it without AA or rehab or some sort of support program, but it is going to be wayyy harder than if you did use a support method.

AA and the like are essentially tools to help people stay sober. I'm sure I could somehow drive a nail into a board without a hammer, but the hammer will make it much easier. Many people get scared by recovery programs, but many people also realize how silly that fear was once they actually decide to give one a try.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR sunnygirl.

I could stop drinking for varying amounts of time,once I did 3 years.In the end I needed face to face support from other recovering Alcoholics,doing it alone was the hard way for me.

It is the first drink that is the problem,stay away from it whatever happens,without the first drink it is impossible to get drunk.

Wishing you well.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're glad to meet you sunnygrl. Not being alone anymore made all the difference for me. We can talk about our feelings with people who really understand. Good to have you with us.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck no matter what you choose
Old 09-29-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Support was the key for me, my own will power only got me so far!!

You can do this!!