Notices

Friday Night tomorrow

Old 09-25-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday Night tomorrow

So, the weekend starts tomorrow. Kids with the ex. No plans, end of a hard week. The pub will be calling. What do abstained do with their Friday nights rather than partying?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

anything BUT drink
Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:-)
Old 09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
anything BUT drink
. . . . And the pub probably wouldn't be such a great idea. Do you have any sober friends you can hang with? What about hitting the gym? Catch a movie?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going fishing all weekend, no pubs at the side of the lake, just me and nature....bliss
Old 09-25-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Attend the Chat Room meeting at 6pm pst/9pm est.

Hope to see you there!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I struggled early with this as well. So I found myself here on a lot of Friday and Saturday nights. I also went out and bought a smoker and now I spend my money on pork butts, ribs, chickens and brisket... I smoke a different meat every weekend and I love it. I had to find new hobbies to get me through some of those weekends. Good Luck!!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go to the gym.
Hit a yoga class.
Take my dog to the park.
Have coffee/tea with a friend.
Go see a movie at the theatre.
Curl up on my couch and watch netflix.
Go to a meeting.
Go watch a football/hockey game.
Go out for dinner with family/friends (who don't drink).
Try cooking or baking something new.
Grocery shop. Do laundry. Housework.
Go to the mall & do some shopping.
Chat on Sober Recovery.
Read a book.

Just a few ideas
Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Start a new hobby
Old 09-25-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At some point you won't resent the Friday nights as much. You will enjoy them for what they are, just the end of a working week.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

and you'll start REALLY enjoying the weekend sober.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
I'm going fishing all weekend, no pubs at the side of the lake, just me and nature....bliss
Hi MM.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I think you asked about Big Book meetings in another thread?

BB meetings are the meat and potatoes of the program. Generally people with long-term sobriety attend as well as those who are fairly new. There's typically someone who leads the group, which means he or she discusses the parts of the Big Book that are read at that particular meeting.

BB meetings go in cycles, starting from the beginning of the book up to page 164. The group leaders usually change after finishing each cycle and, in my experience, they are people who've gone through the AA Big Book Twelve Steps with a sponsor.

I started out with BB meetings and Beginners meetings, and BB meetings got me working on my sobriety. I felt safe there. I went through several cycles of the meeting I attended, and led the group twice. After a time, I started going to a different BB meeting in order to get fresh (to me) perspectives.

There's a calm and potentially calming influence at BB meetings, since the despair, acting out, and complaining (nothing wrong with complaining) that one often finds in beginners meetings is usually absent. Though it may seem as though I'm painting a very serious picture, that has not been the case in my experience.

BB meetings are listed in meeting books with the qualifier "BB" next to them or asterisked at the bottom of the page or section. For many people, it takes a few of these meetings to get comfortable with them, but it was well worth it for me.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember despising Friday nights in particularly in my early sobriety.....totally hated it! Now, almost two years later I see Friday as thank goodness the work week is over and I can relax. This Friday I'm going out to dinner and going to a local high school football game.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

The weekend thread is a good hangout

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-26-28-a.html

the chat room here and the arcade are pretty good too

D
Old 09-26-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

In my local AA fellowship, friday nights are Chip meetings with the last friday of the month being the 'Heavy Medal' meeting for folks with 1 yr or more of sobriety. I consider the Chip meeting my home group and NEVER miss it!

There is something very special about being in the room when someone reaches a milestone in their recovery and the entire fellowship cheers for them. I know when I picked up my 18 month chip (at my 2nd meeting) the support and love that I felt from everyone was a moment I'll never forget.

After our Chat Room meeting here on SR every friday, I have dinner and then head to the fellowship. Tonight is going to be extra special as my sponsor is getting his 8 yr chip and chairing the meeting and his girlfriend is baking a chocolate cake with fresh raspberries! I usually get to carry the cake out while singing 'Happy Birthday Alcoholic's!' and help plate the slices and hand them out. It is a great way to get to meet people and interact with them.

I LOVE SOBER FRIDAY'S!!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

as long as your sober anything you want really ?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks everyone. I am starting to realize that the Friday night pub visit is actually part of a big lie. Just as much fun at the golf range and nice dinner and wow is Saturday a happy day with bright eyes. Thanks again!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

When I first quit I had every weekend planned before Wednesday arrived. I did that for probably about three months. That way there were no possibilities and options. Planning helps.