Notices

Day 3!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3!

Hi all~ happened upon this board when I was searching for "detox symptoms" yesterday. Um, ya I think I had a few. My story in a nutshell~ I have been drinking since I was about 15 and I am now in my 40's. I have never really considered myself an alcoholic, and I am not really sure if I am or not. I had a bad bad experience with vodka on Saturday and got really sick. I threw up and passed out (first time in about 10 years) I drank all day Sunday "to keep the dragon away (hangover). Monday I had a work event and drank wine. Tuesday woke up with blurred vision, body aches, etc. I didn't feel as though I was that drunk on Monday so I was rather confused. I realized my body was trying to tell me something. SO, yesterday I decided to quit drinking. Not a good day physically, but I also had no desire to drink my usual 5pm glass of wine. I woke up today feeling great. I have quit drinking before. This time I am just giving myself a break and taking it one day at a time. I think I have been in denial for a while, and it needs to stop. I usually only drink wine but lately I have had a few hangovers and a whiskey drunk and a vodka drunk. I am not willing to say I "never want to have a glass of wine again"..I want to be able to socially drink in the future. I hope I can get some good advice here. thanks.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's good that you are concerned about your drinking. However, this is a site where members abstain, or try to abstain, from alcohol. Alcoholics cannot moderate their drinking and drink occasionally.

Maybe if you stop drinking for a period of time, you will find that it works well for you.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Welcome SO,
I have tried that moderation thing before, and it would work for awhile, and in certain circumstances (social ones where I needed to maintain some decorum), but somehow I always slid back to my old patterns. More power to those that can pull it off, but I am admitting to myself now that's it's got to be nothing. But that is just my experience. There is great support here I have found in my short time.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, SO; moderation never, ever worked for me; all attempts were an abysmal failure.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you are a substance abuser, moderation is something you can only do as a referee at a debate.

There are no half measures and, in my experience, only one solution - abstinence. If there were any other way, I'm pretty sure one or two alcoholics would have found it and shared it with the masses. Lord knows, I've wasted my fair share of time looking for it.

But, maybe you already knew that and that's why you're here.

In any case, welcome and may you find what you're looking for on your journey!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you! my goal for now is one day at a time. I have failed at quitting before because I make big promises to myself about "not drinking again". I guess its just a bit easier if I set short term goals. Not sure if that makes sense but I have to try it. I think over the past 30 years I have gone thru the quitting for a bit then slowly going back to daily drinking. I have been justifying my drinking because I don't get drunk daily, I just have a few glasses of wine. I have an event in a week and I am hoping if I can make it until then maybe I will be over the hump and not be tempted when I am out? for the next 7 days I am home and don't plan to put myself in social situations. That should help. thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate it. This is certainly why I am here, for a bit of help from those who have been there..
Old 09-25-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me, I know that each morning I wake up and remind myself that I am a recovering alcoholic, that it's a dangerous place out there for me and I need to be careful.

Each morning, I start my recovery again. There's a brand new day in front of me and I have the awesome opportunity to be there as a person in recovery. That starts from the very first day you decide you may have a disease but you also have a solution.

Congratulate yourself! You are officially a person in recovery!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome soberoctober

Forever was too immense for me too so I quit day by day for a while too - but I knew it would have to be for the rest of my life.

Once you cross that invisible line...blacking out and not remembering nights, passing out, binging, drinking at inappropriate times etc - I don't think you can cross back over.

It took a lot of changes and a lot of effort and commitment, but the good news is - this no drinking life is pretty sweet - you won't know yourself after a month or two of sobriety

D
Old 09-26-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank u all. I am dong well. Although somehow I thought I was on day 5 and its only 4! Thats ok because I made it thru my first sober Friday. Feels good..
Old 09-27-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Do it how it feels good for you

well done goid luck
Old 09-27-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well. Today is my day 3 of being sober. I did not drink every day thus I thought I could control it I realize now I can not. Rarely if ever could I stop at one drink. I always justified the 6 drinks. Or more. Thursday When I mention I was working on controlling my drinking to my wife. She said drinking controls me. I was afraid to say it out loud. Time to take a new course and work on maintaining my sobriety Thanks for this forum.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to Forum!! Great to have you here!!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR jedibob

D
Old 09-27-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you SoberOctober and Jedibob. You're part of the family now - we are here to encourage you.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Welcome to you both! This is a wonderful community I'm sure you'll find helpful.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi soberoctober,

Day 2 for me. I hope you can find moderation. I tried it and realized I was unable to do so. It's abstinence for me. I hope to see you around on the forum.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2. I believe if I can succeed in my goal of not drinking .. I shouldn't be trying to drink again. I don't think I would ever be cured. I went a year without drinking .. tried drinking again and went right back to the same troubles I had fairly quick.