Notices

My 1st real craving and realization

Old 09-19-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 1st real craving and realization

Hello all,
I just wanted to share with you what my 1st real craving was like for me, which happened last night after almost 3 weeks sober. Yesterday was my 10 year wedding anniversary. I spent a lot of time reflecting on the past 10 years, the ups and downs, and also that is the time frame where my drinking was more consistent (we drank pretty much every night before kids and a little less after kids). Well, last night my husband took us out to dinner (before me getting sober we would have grilled at home and gotten plastered). Before we left, my husband did his normal drinking beer outside until it was time to go to the restaurant. He wanted me to go sit outside with him, which is a huge trigger for me b/c that's where we would sit and drink and smoke. So as I was sitting, and craving, I thought to myself...can I just have one?

As I contemplated it the events went through my mind...I would have one, then another, then another, then would cancel plans to go out to eat so that I could stay home and drink, my kids (5&7) would be upset b/c they were looking forward to getting out, we would bribe them with a toy or candy so they would be happy, and I would wake up in the am with a hangover regretting my decision! Wow! To think that's what my life was like! How I have hurt my children in the past by my drinking! So, I am starting to have some feelings of guilt and shame, mainly for putting my kids aside for the drink. I am proud of myself for not picking up that 1st drink, I just need to be mindful for the next craving!!! Thank you for listening!!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I can totally relate to you on the "let's just stay home and grill" thing...easier to sneak drinks that way. :-( I too have put drinking before my kids on many occasions. I really hope that we will use the guilt to solidify our commitment to sobriety. I'm only on Day 2, so your 3 weeks is such an inspiration to me. Thanks for posting this.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good for you, Trying. I think sobriety takes practice, and what you did was amazing!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great stuff on pushing through!! Thoughts are only thoughts, they aren't actions!!

Don't beat yourself up too much, you are making the changes now for your kids, and that's something to be very proud of!!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are really showing tremendous strength! Being around beer at home and not drinking, the follow through for your kids etc....Great post!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

This is very inspiring for me. Thanks for sharing. Good for you in your strength and prioritizing your family over booze. I understand what you're saying...the bbq, deck and drinking is familiar to me as well. Lets not get lulled into a false feeling of control after only a few weeks sober. Been there and I found myself starting over. Have a great Friday, Trying!!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done to you xx