Notices

Need help, feeling drunk not drunk!!!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help, feeling drunk not drunk!!!

Gosh feeling drunk, but I haven't drank in weeks, all sluggish and tired. I have, in the past, had hypo hypoglycemic blood test results. Out of it, ate a bunch of bread and butter, and drank a bunch of water. Not looking for medical advice but really scared this is a surreal experience, its not my medication nor is it alcohol, more like very tired and a bit confused. Anyone ever have this close to 3 weeks after alcohol. I think it might be blood sugar related, obviously nobody here can answer that, but man what a strange sensation I am having right now.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not diagnosing you, but I think you're on the right track with blood sugar.

Only one way to know for sure tho, especially if you're feeling a little confused and muddled.
I hope you'll see your Dr Jeremy.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, such a weird feeling right now, eating a lot of complex carbs and drinking a ton of water, this is a strange sensation. Scary! I going to give it some time and if the bread and water doesn't help I am off to the hospital.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a friend who messed himself up bad that way - he was/is a full on type 1 diabetic tho. Do go to the hospital if this goes on, man

D
Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TDG, are you drinking a lot of water because you are thirsty? That can be a symptom of Type 1 Diabetes. And the lethargy and grogginess can be a symptom of hypoglycemia. Definitely check with your doctor. I am definitely not diagnosing you, but I don't think you should delay getting yourself checked out.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

I had that experience too. I always keep a bottle of orange juice with me to help with the blood sugar. If you can get it checked I would. You may need vitamins too. I got a full run of blood work done and was very low on Vitamin D.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks gotgrace and hope, my wife went to the store and bought me some OJ, drinking OJ eating lots of breads and drinking water. Feeling a little better, but I got a job tomorrow and need to be there, need the money so hopefully this works out, but if this sensation persist off to the hospital for me.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

drink some lucoszade and book doc apt
Old 09-18-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You'll think I'm crazy but, eat some peanut butter. Fat and protein. Helps to level the blood. Go on. Get a spoon.

You thought I was going to ice cream, didn't you?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Google PAWS symptoms.

I had a lot of weird symptoms for a long time. Months.

All things checked out but it's reassuring to go to doctor, and get a full work up IMHO.
I had a lot of gratitude that I had no permanent damage.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

My blood sugar took months to really stabilize. Careful with the bread.

I found I have the best luck stabilizing when I avoid anything white sugar or flour. Pasta too.

I recall episodic vertigo and all out room spins.

Might it have something to do with the tower of terror messing with your equilibrium ?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Went to the neighbors house, he is type 2 diabetic, let me use his meter as suspected my blood sugar was 58, never been diagnosed diabetic but maybe time to schedule a doc appointment. Mostly in the past they've told me your fasting blood sugar is low eat bread, but not too low. I never took that seriously, but wow tonight is still a bit worrisome, but I am getting better with the OJ. Wow, it was, and still is a bit like being drunk but not drunk. Scary!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

58 is low. I am a long time Type 2 diabetic with a long family history of it. When I read your post, that is what I figured, you were low. Alcohol probably kept your blood glucose up, sure did mine. I was often around 275-300, normal is 100. When I drop down in the 50-60 rage, I feel the same as you did, almost like being passed out drunk. Once, years ago, I was 38. I thought I was dead... close to it actually.

have a Dr check it out.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gluten affects my moods directly. I have proven this through a bunch of extensive and costly genomic tests.

Bread is similar at a molecular level as beer. Just different yeast fermentations. Anyhow, there are similarities. You are going through major chemical changes your going to feel different things. Head to the Dr. to get checked.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon, Jeremy.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Feel better soon. That does sound a bit scary. Get to the docs if you need too TDG.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You don't get truly low blood sugar unless you take insulin. In other words, you are mildly hypoglycemic, common for alcoholics.

This is exactly what happened to me, and I was certain I had blood sugar issues and perhaps diabetes. I didn't.

Diet, exercise, and time will help you normalize.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I sincerely hope you go talk to your doc about this. I had a doc appointment today myself and boy am I glad I went. My doc isn't the easiest to get into and I made an appointment a few weeks back when I was really struggling with anxiety. I almost cancelled today because I was feeling fine.

We had a fantastic chat today and he was able to put so much together for me that all made sense..and well, I just felt so much better talking to him about it. I had cancelled two previous appointments with him before where I wanted to discuss my therapist's ADD diagnosis and my anxiety.

Please get to a doc and and discuss this. There is no need to suffer in wonder and confusion. It's scary and anxiety making.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hey TDG - I hope you're feeling better today and have made a dr's appt. to get this blood sugar looked at. You've been going pretty hard at stuff too, stress...make sure you take care of yourself ok? good luck and hope the day is better!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

my sponsor pointed out to me in my early sobriety that my body was accustomed to me giving it high amounts of sugar. Alcohol metabolizes into sugar.... and also I often drank with mixers and ate snacks that were high in sugar.

So.... stopping drinking also means suddenly cutting way back on levels of sugar and that impacts energy, cravings, emotions, all kinds of brain chemistry crap.

He recommended getting Karo syrup and adding it to juices a few times throughout the day. Then gradually tapering this off. Also, I kept jelly beans on hand. Not exactly the healthiest approach, but as a transition it was helpful. A small handful of jelly beans every hour or so helped bump up my blood sugar.

I would advise checking with your doctor of course because all of this could be related to sobriety or it could be underlying 'other' issues and messing with blood sugar can be no joke if you have diabetes or other issues brewing.