Notices

TOPIC: Do You Believe Addiction Is Treatable?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up TOPIC: Do You Believe Addiction Is Treatable?

How many members here in SR
believe that addiction can be treated?
That it is treatable?

If you have an addiction to a controlled
substance, alcohol or drugs, do you have
a good solution to use in your everyday
life to treat it?

Just as different cancers are treatable,
over the yrs. people have sought out
different treatments that work for them
to help over come their illness or put it
in remission.

Many folks will be looking for directions,
suggestions as to where to find this treatment
to help them get sober or clean. Each member
uses some sort of recovery program, like I
have, which is AA, others NA, etc.

In sharing our own ESH - experiences,
strengths and hopes of using a treatable
recovery program, we keep an open mind
that like I, I had to start at the beginning,
not knowing anything about addiction or
why I had it or what causes it.

Sharing our ESH with those just coming
in looking for answers, so that they can
find a treatable program for their own
addiction and get on the road of recovery
to live a healthy, happy, honest life for
yrs. to come.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From my perspective, I truly believe that my addiction requires "treatment". I first accept that I "have it" and then I got about "treating it". It's taken years for me to come to acceptance..and my acceptance is finally at a place that includes no shame. Metaphorically, it's a "shoulder shrug"..yup, I'm an addiction prone individual and I am now therefore "armed" with that acceptance and I may go about doing the things I need to do to stay sober. Perhaps it's been years in the making...maybe I needed to collect the puzzle pieces to create the picture. Not sure.

I need tools to manage my previously unmanaged self. I need community, support, knowledge, time for reflection, disciplined nutrition, time outdoors, open willingness...I could go on and on and on....

Essentially, I have to look out and after myself first..and I have to figure out how to do that in healthy, effective ways rather than the unhealthy ineffective ways I did previously.

I need attention plain and simple..and I'm the one to give it rather than waiting on some miracle other...person, place or thing.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

of course it can!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I think "treatment" begins with quitting drinking. Getting some sober time is necessary in order to get out of the toxic mind funk so that we can get a perspective on things. Everyone is different when it comes to growth after quitting though. Some see a spiritual cure, others see a rational cure, and then there's the therapy and CBT approach, and others just quit and don't think much else about it.

I see merit in all the approaches. I've sampled each program (except for LifeRing), and found a comfortable place after a year of sobriety reading many books, reading and posting here on the forum, keeping a moderate exercise plan, eating healthy, getting sleep, water, vitamins.

I am one of those who doesn't buy into "one way" but that is just for myself... others prefer a program and stick with it. I enjoy reading everything out there, trying things and seeing how it fits. That is just my personality.

I do believe its very important to be around the like minded in recovery. On some level, even the "just quitters" and AVRT folks probably benefit from being around others in recovery. And I think that's multifaceted - there's identifying with others, helping others, remembering where we came from, as well as learning new coping skills and stress relief by sharing.

Yep, it's "treatable."
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Though not to be confused with "I'm now cured, I can now control alcohol, let's go and have a drink!!" sort of overcoming addiction!!

It is treatable to the point of overcoming and moving on from the detriment addiction was causing in our lives, there are many solutions to the problem though, many methods, and everyone that has achieved Sobriety has found a solution that works for them.

SR is a fantastic place, a wide variety of methods, opinions, experiences, lengths of Sobriety, there's something for everyone to find and add to their own personal journey!!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Treatable but sadly not cureable......always a recovering alcoholic yet never a recovered one.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seeing addiction as a neurological disorder of the brain's reward/pleasure center as many websites say, not as yet. This includes alcohol, gambling, overeating. I'm talking about corrective brain surgery.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

YES!
ESH below;

So, only at 100 days - today! I speak as a newcomer for sure. But, before I stopped I had to know the probabilities. What are the chances anything will work......

This was a fools folly. The same mind that told me - I won't get a DUI, I won't go to jail, I won't .......(fill in the blank) was now saying it will never work, read this - read that, blah, blah, blah. ENOUGH! I became willing to be willing!

After 35+ years of drinking, 100 days with zero alcohol or any other mind altering substances ( I do still smoke.....not a saint, just a saints fan) I can say yes, there is hope. Miraculous, frankly. But it came through a plan to treat the addictions.

How?
AA and SR /
Over 90 meetings in 90 days, having a spiritual awakening resulting in a psychic change that TODAY has removed the obsession of the mind for alcohol and other things. Now, I am learning how to deal with life on life's terms. I am learning how to be comfortable in my sobriety. Progress, not perfection.......

Reaching out on SR 24/7 - reading what others post. Virtual socializing, making commitments on 24 hr thread, doing simple word association games on another thread etc.....( though the change a letter thread still blows my mind....)

The point is there are methods or multiple methods that can create a program of recovery. The number one, most important thing for me is WILLINGNESS. Sobriety is work, but the best journey of my life thus far - bar none. ( pun intended ).

For those contemplating sobriety, are you willing and do you have the desire>>>>

Grace, with a plan - has given me this gift of peace - today.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, its treatable. But it takes work. There is no day off in Sobriety.

Bunnez
Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

While we are treating our addiction with
good healthy solution, don't forget, it's
okay to smile and have fun. It's Okay,
I promise.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
While we are treating our addiction with
good healthy solution, don't forget, it's
okay to smile and have fun. It's Okay,
I promise.
Right on!!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me it is all about change. At first it was, "I simply can not go on this way." Then it was I have to look at other methods because my best thinking failed 100% of the time. As I saw that others had been right and I had been wrong I started to embrace change as a way of life. I still don't like change but I view it as an absolute necessity if I am going to remain sober
Old 09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think there really is a "treatment" for addiction at the present time, other than simple abstinence and support groups etc.

In the future with new technologies such as nano-technology, it might be possible to actually go in and physically return the brain back to it's "default" state - probably by somehow "removing" the newly created alcoholism-linked receptors, neurons, etc, thus giving the afflicted person a second chance or the option of returning to whatever he/she was enjoying, only moderated this time. But even then, there is still the psychological aspect of addiction............. it's one thing to go under the knife to get your brain physically re-wired on some near-future operating table......... it's another thing altogether to treat the mental part of it.

I happen to be of the opinion that some still unknown entreprenuer will probably invent a synthetic and harmless/non-addictive version of some of these substances waaaaaay before any of that super-futuristic stuff such as nano-tech becomes viable and easily accessible/affordable by the average person. A harmless "synthetic" alcohol mimicker that is not addictive would most likely be an instant hit and make the creator very very rich overnight (billionaire or higher).

...... Or then again, perhaps 100 years from now nothing will have changed. Similar to how big oil companies have no doubt snuffed out countless alternative energy ideas and non-gasoline engine prototypes in the background, perhaps big alcohol and big pharma will "snuff" out these "revolutionary" addiction treatments and synthetic alternatives/mimickers before they see the light of day or even get off the ground.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I most certainly respect the point of view that gives rise to initial question in your post. But I need to question your assumption - that a good solution in every day life is required to address all addiction. I do not make this assumption, and many do not assume this either.

There is also a statement that each SR member uses a program of recovery. I dispute this as well, while still accepting that some do. Many do not use any program of recovery whatsoever.

I addressed my addiction by quitting the behaviors that defined my addiction. No everyday solution is needed, because my addiction to alcohol, and now to tobacco, are things that are firmly, resolutely and unconditionally in my past. No daily treatment, no program.