Notices

methadone

Old 09-11-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

methadone

Has anyone have any positive experiences with methadone? Any and all info will be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I only used it short-term for detox purposes, but I found it to be extremely effective for that. However, I only did that because I knew that I would not have access to anything beyond a short-term supply. If I had a consistent supply I would have almost certainly gotten addicted to it. I didn't do it under a doctor's supervision, which would have obviously been a better way to go about it.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks opiophobe. And you have not used any opiates since? I'm looking for info for my bf. I was totally against methadone but if it will keep him from the heroin life I can be for it. To me I guess it's kind of like a mental health person may need to take meds to feel 'normal'. But I've been seeing a lot of people stating negative about it and it being the wrong way to go.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No opiates since February. I wish I could be proud of that, but I screwed up a few weeks ago and took basically every other substance out there though. I am back on track now, but I very narrowly escaped going back to opis.

It sounds like you are describing methadone maintenance though - i.e. long-term use. I didn't want to get on it long-term because of my past usage patterns. I only have one relapse on opis, but that was only because I never had enough clean time to even qualify for a relapse. There were probably a hundred failed detox attempts on my part. If I had made it through withdrawal several times and then relapsed repeatedly, I would have been more inclined to try the long-term route. That is purely my personal preference / opinion though.

Also, has he considered suboxone?

At the end of the day it is going to come down to what he wants to do though. If he thinks he needs it then I would vote for supporting his choice.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a positive experience, but honestly I get the feeling that negative experiences outweigh positives especially around here so take it with a grain of salt. I was so against it for the first 6 years of my recovery or so called recovery. I looked at it as replacing one drug for another and that made NO SENSE to me. I had been to hundreds upon hundreds of AA and NA meetings with some success, but I always found myself back using. For me it was a LAST RESORT. I was so screwed that I figured it couldn't make things any worse. Now again personal experience. Also I did continue to struggle and use on it for the first 6 months or so. So I am not sure if it was the methadone or just my being so dam sick and tired, but I think it did help. The blocking effect was key - I tried my best to get high when using methadone but on a high enough dose it ain't easy no matter how much you use. Suboxone is similar, but with sub you can just quit for a day or two and get back into it. Suboxone is looked at as so much safer and I have been on that too, but don't kid yourself it is quite a strong medication and just crumbs of it can have quite an effect. You could just quit taking methadone too, but for some reason I was able to stick it out and come out the other side.

Anyway I think you can't go into methadone lightly and of course I wish it didn't come to that but for me it did. At first I thought why did I do this now I am addicted to methadone and Heroin?!?!? I was able to stop the H and stick with methadone. One thing that is a big help is having to go in daily (or at least pretty regularly depending on take homes). With Sub it was nice that I only had to go once a month or every other month, but I did end up taking more than I was supposed to then run out every month then have to use for a few days to make it until my next appointment.

It is a big commitment and there are NO guarantees. Again just MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. You can definitely find many many negative experiences. It isn't easy to get off of either. It gets into your bones and really sticks with you so you have to go slow coming off. I came off quickly at first then slowed down towards the end and I definitely felt it, but was at least able to function unlike heroin withdrawals where I could barely move.

It is not a wonder drug and needs to be used as one tool in your recovery tool kit. You need other forms of support and many clinics are just in it for the money so you probably will not find all the support you need there. It needs to be combined with counselling or even meetings but obviously it is frowned upon in NA but to each his own.

It is great you are looking for info for your boyfriend, but does HE truly want to recover? You are going to have your hands full no matter what route he takes and unfortunately the odds are against him. I hate to say it but it is just a fact. The odds are against him, but there are many success stories. I sure hope he can be one. Take Care of yourself!!!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Marcus that was very helpful and I am happy it worked for you. Its great u were ready for ur recovery and now can tell ur story. Is he ready..no definitely not. He still has people to manipulate. And its so frustrating especially because his family thinks I am the one who is enabling him, I'm just come to terms with reality. Know I cannot have a successful relationship while he is using but I'm his support if needed. He has his family convinced hes ready and that I am just enabling him to the point where he doesn't want to stop.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Methadone is some people's magic wands and for others it causes more addiction problems. For me I got nearly 3 years. Had 2 babies an went to college. I slipped wen i finished my methadone treatment but went back on it. It works for me but I still have slips as I know I have something to take incase I'm sick. It's a cycle and only the addict can make it work for them