Notices

Chanting at meetings

Old 09-08-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chanting at meetings

Hi, I am looking for opinions on a hotly debated subject, chanting at meetings. There are a lot of ways to chant during the readings and I wonder if it is a positive thing for newcomers or alienating to newcomers.

It seems some chants are helpful in learning the NA readings, such as "Principles before Personalities," "All Will Be Well," "We Have Nothing to Fear,"

Others are distracting of the message, such as "Boing, Rip, and Splash"

Chanting seems to take the focus off the readings and places the attention on the chanters.

Chanting in this particular group is a source of a power struggle, those that insist on keeping it have made it more important than recovery.

Chanting during clean time recognition and presenting keytags however, seems unifying and encouraging.

What do you think? We are having a group conscience about it and want to make sure everyone is thinking of the newcomers in discussing this.

Thank you for opinions.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do they really do that???
Old 09-09-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It would certainly make someone like me turnaround and head for the door.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been to "Tourette's" meetings like this and it does seem to take away from the reading IMO.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HonestlyTrying View Post

chanting at meetings.
I have only seen it done on some meetings on Reservations

it does not mix well with my beliefs

thus -- I do not attend those meetings anymore

MM
Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know they chanted at Woodstock...No More Rain...No More Rain....It didn't help though, LOL
Old 09-09-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

if it keeps them sober, not much can do.

for new comer I guess the message and recovery is more a priority, unless as
anattaboy suggested it's a "Tourette's" syndrome and they alcoholic, that's probably their "tribe", respectfully.

Though I never recall seeing a real "Tourette, unless i became like one in blackout, never known what happens when in that zone
Old 09-09-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My apologies to those with TS. Inappropriate outbursts are frowned upon in AA and this "group recital" of key phrases or words in the readings seems to be an NA tradition but I've experienced it in both. Not for me but my home groups were not this way so I found it distracting. It could be a unifying act for those that do. As for the newcomer one should always ask themselves what helped them the most and for me it was a lot of pain and the welcoming attitude of those I met at meetings.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Honestly - chanting at a meeting would seem strange to me to be candid. Especially the "Boing, Rip and Splash" one. I doubt I would walk out in the middle of one over it, but it would make me uncomfortable. It honestly reminds me of a time I visited a friend's Church and they started chanting. I was used to more formal services, and things starting getting really 'weird'. At one point I started eying the back door, but out of respect I stayed for the full service. I didn't come back though. They all seemed content with it though, and I suspect it gave them a sense of unity.

However, that is just my opinion on the subject. If the folks at those meetings have been doing it and they think that it has helped keep them sober then more power to them.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There's something for everyone, how about burning some sage?

I know when I was attending meetings, I went to about 10 different locations and home groups to find the ones I felt most comfortable attending.

Some people may find it cathartic. There are many things about 12 step meetings that are off-putting if I let them be so. It's about tolerance, no?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks for the opinions I appreciate the input. During the reading of the Twelve Traditions, "Boing" is said after ...freedom for the group springs from our traditions.. "RIP" comes after "ties that bind us are stronger than those that would tear us apart" and "SPLASH" is I think at tradition 9,...we may create service "boards" ...
In collecting individual thoughts on this subject I have heard everything from:
"Some people just need something to bitch about, and want to control the meeting"
"Chanting is not an issue and we are ok with it in our group"
"People are dying from this disease and our group doesn't do it when there are newcomers OR when we have newcomers reading"
It is a good topic to learn about and to help two opposing sides hopefully meet somewhere in the middle, putting our primary purpose to work.