Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Methadone Withdrawal- In the thick of it, or not? Help?!

Notices

Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was there for 6 months, my highest dose was 45 mg but I spent the majority of it at 30 mg. Even though I earned 3 take homes, I became VERY sick of driving in there 4 days a week and paying $450/month ($15 per day), so I started my detox and totally ignored their suggested schedule and did it my way (much faster).

I've read nothing but horror stories about coming off methadone and the greedy people at my clinic told me I should drop 1 mg every 2 weeks. I dropped by 5 mg a week until I hit 20 mg where I stayed for a month, then jumped down to 10 mg for 10 days, then 1 mg every 5 days-- I'm down to 1 mg and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I haven't even become slightly ill and I can't imagine that the 1 mg every 24 hours is "holding me" or keeping the withdrawals away.

I even skipped a day to see what would happen and-- NADA.

Just curious if I got lucky or if I'm going to eat my own words in the upcoming days. Do any of you have similar methadone detoxification stories to share here or in private?

Said "horror stories" have me in a holding pattern at 1 mg... afraid to go down to zero.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there! I have been on methadone on and off while using for ma few months. Then I used it to detox and sto using. I was terrified. peoles stories had me ready to die. I took 30 mg and used... then 15 mg day 1. 15 day 2. 10 day 3... nothing day 4. Today is day 5. I took 2.5mg at 5:3 am cause i couldnt slee for days and I was too exhauste to kee fighting. But I havent died yet!! I may feel ****** at times but it passes and it hasnt geotten unbareable... just annoying esecially since Im not working and have no distractions. But it is what it is... You will probably have trouble sleeing. Some restless leg. Some cold sweats. Some light stomach issues or diarrhea... But If you want off it youll make it!! I dont have exerience being on it consistantly for so long but dont give in to your anxiety and fear. Everyones story is different. I made sure my friends nknew waht was going on and would answer the hone when i felt tough times and tell me how bad a** I was gdoing it at home while they had each needed to be away to get clean. So just kee telling yourself you are toughter than you feel and stronger than yosu think. (sorry my keybaord is broken so i cant fix tyos!