Notices

Martial Arts and Recovery....

Old 09-07-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Martial Arts and Recovery....

A lot of questions about "what do I DO instead of drinking" seem to be a common theme here on SR, and for all of us in early recovery.

Well.... one thing I am experiencing is that training in martial arts can be an incredibly powerful and complementary action to take in support of sobriety in answer to this question.

I don't mean just going down to your local McDojo and signing up to be the next MMA fighter. Never mind that. I mean really taking up a practice of a martial art in the whole sense.

If you look for an art and a school that focuses on the martial WAY, the holistic approach that some arts have, you will find that you will connect not only with a new healthy pursuit but a whole community that aligns well with sobriety.

In the pursuit of martial arts one can find a philosophy of health, wellness, respect, discipline, tradition, mind-body-spirit connection that creates a path well-suited to those wishing to find sober alternatives to the 'mainstream' of life.

If you find yourself wondering "what should I do instead of drinking".... look into Aikido, Soo Bahk Do, Judo, Kung Fu or any of the more 'esoteric' styles out there. Many schools of Tae Kwon Do, Jujitsu, Muay Thai and others out there today can unfortunately be somewhat less healthful - but that said, if those are what your area offers, it's worth having a look around and just seeing what they're about.

Anyway - just wanted to offer my experience. I am training with my daughters and have found it a rich source of healthful energy, a place of community where drinking is not a part of the focus, a place of family and a practice of discipline and focus that I'm finding beneficial to sobriety. Beneficial, in fact, to 'whole personhood'.... the benefits to sobreity are almost just a secondary bonus.

Have a great sober day everyone.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Excellent post and a truly great way to exercise both the body and demons, i have studied Kick boxing and Karate for many years and find it an incredible regime to live life by.

i have never mentioned i studied these arts to anyone else other than close friends and family but with SR i have close friends.

Take care
Stuart.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Stuart... love your line about alcohol being the perfect solvent...

it also dissolves hopes, dreams and lives...
Old 09-07-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Great post! It was a great day when I thought about what I needed to do to stay active in recovery and realized that the sky is the limit. All the things I couldn't do before because drinking was so important are now available to me.

Just one of the best perks of being sober
Old 09-07-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great idea!!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Absolutely agree, FreeOwl!

I started boxing a year ago, and just love it - in addition to great workout it also develops a "fighter mindset".

My trainers almost enlisted me for competition in April, but I decided it was somewhat premature)
Old 09-07-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

With out alcohol life really is limitless.... Great post.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you, FreeOwl! I've been contemplating martial arts since my early 20's... and many times people (who know me well) suggested that I train in some style, I think for the reasons you have also described regarding the holistic approach. I tend to like that in many things, not just addiction recovery, and I usually get easily bored with sports that are done simply for the sake of physical exercise. Except long distance running outside with music, that I love. I've been thinking about Aikido but it has never happened yet. I started doing yoga more seriously a few months ago and run ~daily, so that's it for me right now, but I do really like the idea of martial arts. So great that you've gotten into it! Have fun!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I started to realise how much I could do and kept at it in nearly 14 months I have achieved more than I have in 5 years

Sobriety speaks for itself

Really nice post
Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I started to realise how much I could do and kept at it in nearly 14 months I have achieved more than I have in 5 years

Sobriety speaks for itself

Really nice post
I can see that happening in my life too!