Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Cravings and urges are just feelings, alcohol and cigarettes kill

Notices

Old 09-04-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You know, as of this morning TDG is broke. Broker than broke, my last dollar I had on hand is gone, kaput, adios. All my money put its jacket and hat on and left. Why say this, I am out of money, no more cigarettes ( as of 9pm last night) and no alcohol in just about 2 weeks. You know I am uncorfortable, and every-time I eat I get strong urges to smoke. However, they're just feelings, they can't hurt me, they can make me do anything, and most certainly aren't going to kill me.

Just feelings, moments of an uncontrollable desires in the moment, but really when I buckle down and ride the proverbial wave out, I am fine.... I am still here I am still Jeremy, I might be grumpy and feel like I am losing it, but its just a feeling I am still in control. As a matter of fact I have more control by not giving in, then I do by giving in...

I am not going to underestimate the desire to drink or smoke. The desire to smoke and drink has killed lots of folks. Lots of good, hard working, troubled, what ever folks. I keep those folks in mind, I hope they have found peace, and if there is one lesson I think they would want everyone to know its, smoking and drinking kills, liver disease, lung disease, cancer, COPD, Kidney disease, pancreatic failure are all evil, and I bet you they and I can guarantee right here and right now those feelings should you end up with those conditions or other, are far worse then your current urge.

On top of the many health concerns I am not even addressing the lost sleep, lack of quality of life, no money, looks ( alcohol and smoking make people ugly over time), and lost time. For what I say? Well for today I personally say for nothing! Fu#@ you alcohol and smoking, yeah I am broke and without the means, but this feeling isn't as bad as some of the alternatives.

These feelings I am having suck, I am all sorts of lost and feeling like I have nothing right now, but thats way better than being bed ridden with COPD gasping for air, in a lonely hospital.... I give this example, because one of my past coworkers told me of her alcoholic, smoking husbands death. He literally choked to death on his own lung fluid. His last full sentence was to tell his wife he loved her and was in pain. My word, it took 2 years and lots of smoking and drinking later to ponder what I was told. She said the poor guy was scared to death and choking and had grown septic.
These aren't scare tactics, honestly, these are choices. When I choose to smoke or drink I make a choice about my quality of life. I decide and choose the feelings I wish to have. I will caution everyone and myself though, those feeling I am experiencing right now smoke and alcohol free never killed anyone.

Good day friends, love you all, remember we all make choices and choose our quality of life and what feelings we want to live with or not want to live with. Wishing you all a sober day, and I still live day by day.

( WARNING) if you are quitting alcohol and having physical symptoms ie shaking, extreme anxiety, racing heart, go to the ER you are still physically addicted and those aren't just feelings!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice post Jeremy!! Hopefully something comes up for you soon!!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Man im broke too literally a dollar and 25 cents sitting on my table lmao..and your right
F$%& a cigarette and pain killer lmao....your not alone my man not at all
Old 09-04-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey TDG - that was a very insightful post! and very true. Sounds like someone is doing some serious thinking!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I always enjoy your posts

But again well done your amazing