Codependency Recovery?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Codependency Recovery?

I took this silly little quiz - you know, one of those you see all your friends take on FB about what animal are you or what's your color.

This one was "What is your Defining Trait?"

I got selflessness.

You got: Selflessness

Let’s talk about YOU for a second. Taking care of everyone else is hard, but it is your specialty. Sometimes that means putting yourself second, but you have a simple philosophy: happiness is seeing another happy. And if that isn’t admirable, I don’t know what is.
It surprised me for a couple of reasons. Since I'm an alcoholic as well as a codependent (and child of two alcoholics) I'm told I'm very selfish. I know it's true in LOTS of ways but I've always struggled with that a bit because I'm not doubt a codependent.

Since I got sober, the codie thing is something I've worked on, especially since I got into a new relationship pretty early into my sobriety. I know I do better. This is the best relationship I've ever been in, hands down. But I say it's something I've "worked on". In all reality I'm not sure I've worked that hard at it -- just being more self aware and admitting when I'm wrong and talk openly about it with my partner.

At any rate -- this silly little quiz sort of freaked me out. Maybe I'm still a full blown codie and I'm not near as self-aware as I would like to believe.

It made me thing. Maybe that's not such a bad thing.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hmmmmm....you're making me think here.....OUCH! LOL

how about this....as a recovering alcoholic that tendency or underlying potential to return to active addiction is still IN you, but you think act and behave id ways contrary to that inclination. and similarly with codependent traits and behaviors, they remain inside but you DO different on the OUTSIDE.

i don't believe we ever eradicate such things....

my daughter and i were just discussing chickenpox and Shingles. it wasn't til they came out with those commercials that either of us even knew that one was related to the other. so if one has had the chickenpox (prior to the vaccine developed in 1995) one HAS the shingles virus in it's INACTIVE state in the nerve tissue around your spinal cord and brain. and you may or may not ever have a shingles outbreak.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh PaperDolls...don't let a quiz stumble you up!

I think there is a fine line between codependency and wanting to help others. I want to help others and I hope that never changes about my personality. Being self aware and actually talking about things is 3/4 of the battle!

I think you are doing great! And...I always want to tell you but never do, your avatar is my favorite!!!

Have a happy day!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Ok - sort of like "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic". There's no cure, just constant awareness and hopefully, growth.

Sounds like fun.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't put much stock in those kinds of quizzes. Kinda like a horoscope tailor it to suit your fancy.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, if FACEBOOK said it, then it MUST be true!!!

There was another FB quiz I took -- it was one where they would guess who you were. It said I was a male in my mid-60s, probably highly successful in business and out of shape, and warned me that I would regret it if I didn't spend more time with my family and try to work on losing some weight and working on my cardio fitness.

In reality, I'm a woman, 50, with a career in the toilet, who lives for my family, and spends most of my me-time at the gym and most of my family time hiking, biking, or skiing.

I am still fat, though. They did get that part right...
Old 09-03-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I always believed I was very unselfish until I started working on my codependency. I realized that many of my Codie issues were in fact very selfish. So maybe your Codie recovery is better then you thought.