Notices

Day 3 Emotions All Over the Place

Old 09-03-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 Emotions All Over the Place

Wow, today is crazy. One minute I am happy, elated on cloud nine. Then the next anxious and panicky, then the next sad. Feel like my brain is sending me in a million different directions, from wanting to find volunteer work, to running a 5k.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, man, I remember that.

It gets better. It took me about a month to feel calm again.

I sat in AA meetings every day for the first 90 days, too. Talk about feeling out of it! I couldn't concentrate, couldn't focus, couldn't put two thoughts together, and there were all these people who could tell their stories and give hope to the rest of us. It was humbling, to say the least.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm 7 days sober. I'm living this again too.

Yesterday was all over the map. Today feels the same.

I can relate.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, the body needs time to adjust both physically and emotionally!!

Years of drinking can't be healed in a matter of days, be patient!!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Remember that the alcohol has changed the chemistry and physiology of your brain. It forgets now how to make its own soothing chemicals in order to let it calm itself down. Just like rewiring and restoring a damaged house, It takes time for your brain to make new receptors and chemicals.
If you can, try to exercise, which releases endorphins, which will help you feel better. Lots of rest, remove all drama, clean nutritious food to restore your nutrients, and lots of water to help your boys flush out all the garbage.
It takes time, but you will feel better.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep I know this feeling well! Give your mind chance to stabilise, at the moment I imagine it's still in :o 'why aren't you giving me alcohol!?' Mode!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of support! I did take a run this morning and I am trying to eat a healthy diet. I think I am going to write down all the stupid, horrible things I have done while drunk and read it whenever I need a rude awakening as to why I have made the decision to quit. I cringe as some of these memories pop up. Especially the ones where my children have seen my drunk and falling down. Horrible!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Early sobriety is a roller coaster of emotions,my brain went at a hundred miles an hour.It takes time to feel better and get that peace between your ears,I cherish that now.I never believed it was possible,it is and worth fighting for.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyfree2525 View Post
Thank you all for your words of support! I did take a run this morning and I am trying to eat a healthy diet. I think I am going to write down all the stupid, horrible things I have done while drunk and read it whenever I need a rude awakening as to why I have made the decision to quit. I cringe as some of these memories pop up. Especially the ones where my children have seen my drunk and falling down. Horrible!
And as you do that, also forgive yourself and set those things free. Use them as a tool to help you fly, not one to keep you down in previous behaviours

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there