Notices

New to this!

Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this!

Hello,

I'm completely new to this, I've never joined any forums. I've decided to join Sober Recovery because I need some support and do not have the ability to get to local meetings due to my work schedule.

I have been in a relationship with a crack addict for 5 yrs. I had no idea he had an addiction problem for the first several years of our relationship. I've been through hell and back with him. We split up in October of 2012 when I gave him the altimatum of going to rehab or get out. He chose to leave and move out of state. We remained in contact while he was gone, a total of a year and a half. He led me to believe he went for treatment and was clean. We got back together in May of this year. He and his sister feed each other's addiction so I tried to keep him from her, would only allow him to visit if I was with him. That didn't work! He started sneaking off with MY car and would come home high. The third time he did this he was gone for 12 hrs on a binge! Of course I reacted by throwing him out once again! Now I'm heart broken! I truly love this man, he is an awesome man with a terrible disease! At this point I feel I'm the one who needs help which is why I joined this forum.

I look forward to any and all advice!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sorry for your troubles......you've found a good place with some good advice.
Hope you stay and find what you need.....

Welcome!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I’m sorry for your pain, unfortunately it’s too common dealing with addicts and alcoholics.

We canNOT get anyone sober or clean, they need to want to do it for themselves.
I’ll suggest the forum on this site called friends and families along with going to Alanon meetings.

BE WELL
Old 09-02-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello and welcome
Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Redy. I'm sorry for all the confusion & upheaval you've been through. You're not alone.

Many are having the same experience with loved ones. As IOAA suggested, have a look at the Friends & Families forum here. I hope it helps to meet others who understand.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Coming from an alcoholic. He will only change if he decides, no one else. Addiction is hell, for everyone involved. However, you need to protect yourself.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!