Notices

Time to turn things around

Old 08-28-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to turn things around

It is time that I finally admit that I really do have a problem, and I thank you for the Welcome. I never realized it would be so hard to admit defeat from alcohol. I know though that I can turn this life around and beat it.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That was the hardest thing for me to do. Admit I wasn't in control when it came to alcohol. Even though I drank heavily for years, I deep in denial. A very important step. You will receive lots of support here from people that have fought the battle. It isn't easy but SO worth it. Post a lot, especially during the difficult times. Welcome.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi aheuschling!
You are doing really important turn!
I wish you the best of luck on this way.

Alcohol itself can't defeat you. It's just a liquid in bottles.
It stays harmless unlessyou do not tuch it.
The problem resides in our heads and our souls.
And we can deal with it.

Welcome!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! There is so much good support and advice here. I hope to see lots more of you!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done aheuschling! You have made the first step. It is a hard thing to do but you have done it for yourself. We can deal with it together and there is always help to guide you when you need it. We all have to start somewhere but look at where you can go from here. Try taking a look at success stories to inspire you, share your journey with us and create goals for yourself.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you to everyone. I am very honored to be a part of a group that has so much support to offer me so graciously. I really needed to hear from you guys and I think it will make a tremendous difference in my owning up and recovering. Thank you again to all.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been thinking about why I drink and I can't nail it down. I drink when I'm depressed, when I've had a long day, when I need to decompress, and to have fun and hang out with friends. I have figured out that I am not able to just have 1 or 2. I can also go for weeks without and then I drink for 2 weeks every day to excess. But why is the question. It obviously doesn't solve anything, because what I'm trying to drink away is always there when I sober up, sometimes even worse.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drank that way too, Aheuschling. I was mostly a binge drinker and could go days and even a week or so without a problem. And it seemed I drank for any number of reasons... no real reason necessary in order for me to want to drink. I concluded that I was addicted on some level. Addiction doesn't make much sense. The parts of the front of the brain responsible for decision making, choices, executive function and all that good stuff that makes us human... well, it is somehow circumvented or even "hijacked" by another part of the brain when we are drinking, so it's described anyway.

I had to make a decision, and my decision was finally that I could not drink again. Under no circumstance could I ever drink again. To drink again means I'll start down the slippery slope again, into binge drinking.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can turn this around just stay sober and it will get better

Massive kudos on wanting to save your life its a wise decision
Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Red face

Thanks guys, it is some comfort to know that you are not the only one with these kinds of issues. I was thinking yesterday that I was going to be alone through this. I got a DUI for sitting in my car in the parking lot of a bar, I was actually collecting my stuff to walk home when the officer knocked on my window. When I think about it today it was a blessing that things were the way they were because maybe the next time I would've driven home and hurt or killed someone. Jesus was watching out for me, even though I did go to jail, it could have been so much worse. I am going to take it one day at a time.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am going to my first meeting tonight at a Church down the road. I am scared to death
Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think everyone's scared or intimidated to go to the first meeting. Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I went to my 1st mtn petrified came out feeling top of the world