Notices

Just de-boozed my VERY boozey house

Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just de-boozed my VERY boozey house

Hi all,

So, a bit of background. In addition to my day-job, I have, for years, been a cocktail writer, mixologist, bar menu designer, and (there is such a thing) 19th century spirits researcher and writer.

This meant, essentially, a house full of booze. For research (no being sarcastic). 3 full bars worth, to be exact. Good stuff, too.

Last night, I opened up about my problem to one of my most trusted friends. and we went through the process of boxing up NINE CASES of some of the finest liquor on God's green Earth. I am not gonna lie- There were a few moments I thought I was going to break down and cry. It was hard.

But, I now live in (I think- there were enough bottles some might be in mysterious places, but I am pretty sure) a dry, sober, booze-free house. That's never even come CLOSE to happening before.

I feel like a massive part of not just the BAD parts of my life, but the GOOD parts of my identity/respect has been ripped away today though. Hurts, and feeling low, looooooow today.

Could use a hug today...
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here ya go, Hobbers:

Thinking good thoughts for you.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My breakup with alcohol was just as traumatic, Hobbers. You were dating Gina Lollobrigida and I was dating Rosie the Riveter, but I'm still torn up. I didn't have to dispose of a great amount of expensive liquor and wine, just a nearly full handle of smirnoff and some nappa whites and Margaret River reds. And empties, whoo Lordy, I had empties.

What we shared, tho, was this commitment to be done with this and an understanding of the depth and ramifications of that commitment. After dumping that vodka down the toilet, I felt a strange freedom. Hadn't felt that good in decades about my prospects for the future. See if you can find that sense of relief too.

Just do the next thing first, Hobbers, make that plan and stick to it. Onward!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a garage that is detached from my house. I have a fridge in this garage. This was my drinking headquarters. I never drank in the house around family. When I decided to finally get sober. I cleaned it all out. I poured out the stuff in the fridge. Removed all of the fancy bar lights and signs. I threw out the "vintage" beer cans etc. This was a few weeks ago. I was actually cleaning the garage last weekend and found about another 12 pack of empties that I had stashed in "secret" places. I did not even remember putting them there. Imagine that.

I am glad I did. I basically removed one more trigger and I have no regrets that I did this. I will admit that throwing out some of the lights and signs was a little tough as each of them had a story behind them. But oh well, that was then and this is now.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*high five*

Be proud! That was a HUGE step. Props
Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that having no alcohol in the house has helped me get through some difficult nights. My most vulnerable time is waking up during the night, not being able to sleep and having dark thoughts racing around my mind, so no alcohol removes the temptation.
  # 7 (permalink)  

First off, Fresh- Loved the Gina Lollobrigida and Rosie references. Major kudos.

Thanks, Jupiter. It's a rough day (in general), and this has made it what feels like infinitely rougher.

Now to start IOP this evening on top of it all...
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats! That must have been hard. You are on to the next stage in your life Maybe you will feel a weight is being lifted off you soon.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

That's great and having a friend help you is awesome. I just had to dump half a bottle of cheap whiskey but having my home be a safety zone was crucial.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A great first step!!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fist bump
Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That was truly an epic event. Well done. Sounds like a couple house payments worth for me.