Notices

The biggest test so far...

Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The biggest test so far...

Hi everyone.
I went back to work today and Man the drive home was tuff. This is the first time at work since my 19 days of sobriety. The craving and the routine kicked in hard. I think I could taste it during my drive home. I'm so glad I didn't give in and also brainstormed something that I think will help. Having a soda or maybe a munchie I could see helping. I would be grateful for any other suggestions if anybody has any.
Thanks for being here...
Nvguy
Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job fighting off the beast & getting back to work.

I have found that a different route home helps if that's possible. I try to find the routes that are the most inconvenient for me to stop at liquor stores, convenience stores and/or gas stations.

Keep up the good fight!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I swilled Diet Coke for months. I was a beer drinker, and while I hated the faux sweetness of it, the fizzy and can helped. Of course, being an alcoholic, I would rink 12 of them.

There's a part of this addiction crap that is so much about routine, and then there is the deep rooted elements of self that I had to deal with (and still do).

Grab a diet soda and some salted cashews for the drive home, then search for some stronger recovery oriented stuff for when the real demons lurk at home.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, breaking the routine is so important. I'm really glad that you got through that.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hello Nvguy, when I can't go for a walk, or do some other distracting activity, I recite things.

CORE - commit, objectify, respond, enjoy. Commit to not picking up the first drink. Commit to sobriety. Objectify, who/what in the hell is A/V? People/things like A/V don't tell people like you what to do, you tell people/things like A/V what to do. Think about it. What is an A/V? What is an urge? When you boil it down, neither add up to much, especially as much as you. Respond, such as shut up, mind your own business. Enjoy - arm yourself with a manageable list of benefits of sobriety. Arm yourself with a list of consequences of drinking. Recite, repeat. Recite, repeat.

Or maybe...

Pick a couple of three inspiring quotes. When the urge hits, recite the quotes over and over until the urges subsides or at least becomes manageable.

Or, maybe...

Replace the unhealthy habit with a new, healthy habit. Stop at a Jamba Juice or equivalent and read a chapter of a book or a section of a newspaper.

Just a couple of ideas.

Please maintain you commitment to recovery. I hear the payoff is huge.

See ya'

Marty
Old 08-19-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your feedback and advice. Today is a new day and Will face new challenges. I refuse to let the beast seduce me... She is tricky...
Nvguy
Old 08-19-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. Good suggestions above. Personally I’d drink regular sugar drinks as the body is probably still looking for the sugar it’s missing from the alcohol. Also try thinking about not drinking as to be easier and less impulsive. When the desire to drink arises think of anything else that’s non agitating but pleasant. I used to think of being in my small boat marveling at the beauty around me.

BE WELL
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always have something in hand to drink. A soda, coffee, fizzy water. Preferably something with no caffeine because too much caffeine for me amplifies the urges to drink to quiet the jitters. I also recommend snacks. Ice cream helps. And like everyone else said, change your routine. We are all mostly creatures of habit and blindly follow the habits that are long in place. If you are like me, my brain is on auto pilot on the way home from work. My husband, who is also an alcoholic in recovery, found himself standing in the gas station convenience store with his hand on the beer cooler one day without fully realizing where he was or what he was doing until he shook himself out of it.

You can do this. Yay that yesterday was a success.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The beast is a patient sniper around many corners, hiding in ads, walgreen liquor store flyers, down that aisle at wallmart, etc. The beast has no time limit and will wait forever. During my first year recovery, I read TONS of books on Navy Seals and their struggle during their initial training. Posted on their training grounds is a sign that says, "the only easy day was yesterday" And when the have to run their countless miles, over and over, there was ONE constant theme that those that succeeded repeated to themselves. DO NOT think about the end of the run, swim, obstacle course, etc....Just take it one step at a time...then next step..(ok..I made that step)..now next swim stroke..(ok..I made that one)...etc. Focus on the NOW and you can do it. The only thing you have to do today is not pickup. Thats it.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job, I find it really knocks down the cravings to go for a walk/run or the gym as a way to break the routine and be healthy at the same time.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Awesome!

Habits are hard to break for me as well. If the urge is mental and not physical your in a good place.

For me I learned a basic model that has got me through mental urges. Am I hungry, tired or lonely? One of these is usually a trigger for me. When resolved, the urge is usually gone.

If that doesn't work I cuss like a sailor on leave and ask God to remove it! Also, fresca and ginger ale help me.

Hang in there, your doing GREAT!!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Try to reach for healthy juices. I only have Zevia soda at home now as artificial sweeteners I think contribute to addiction. I don't have an issue with the odd Diet Coke if I am out but anything that makes lab rats fat and depressed is questionable with me. Aspartame changes the dopamine levels in the brain.

Good luck and what that urge is, to go buy liquor on the way home, is just a habit that now needs to be broken. I had the same habit. You can break it.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job fighting the beast!

The ride home from work was one of my biggest triggers as well. A sparkling water and a few pieces of something sweet has worked for me...fruit snacks, gummy candy, etc. I really can't do sugary drinks (I think its just a mental thing) so having the fizz and also a little bit of sugar helped.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ive been having ice cream each night and it seems to really help. It takes the anxiousness down and lets me relax after work. Not sure how helpful that will be with bad withdrals because in the past I quit abruptly after a pint a day and I'm not sure how effective it would be with that level of withdrawl. Alcohol has tons of sugar though so some of the withdrawls may be a crave for sugar. Not sure though. Good luck and I wish you the best nvguy!