Notices

Rock bottom

Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock bottom

Hi All,

I dont know if I'm in the right place. I mean drink is destroying my life, but I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, just a problematic drinker.

The last week has been absolute hell. A few of my friends got married, so being Irish, a group of us drank for about 17hrs. Now i knew i was going to suffer but the last week has literally sent me back a month.

I've had chronic insomnia, severe intrusive thoughts, depression, anxiety, paranoia, stomach craps, and suicidal thoughts.

I need some advice! How do i get out of this nightmare? Why do i keep going back when i know i will feel like this?

Cheers
Old 08-16-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Harpoon, welcome to the Forum!!

For me I went back because I was addicted, a dependence is created and before I knew it alcohol was damaging my life also, regardless of what we call it "problem drinking", "heavy drinking", "alcoholic", something needs to change!!

It's gonna take first of all support, you'll find loads of support here on SR, because the mind set of drinking won't disappear over night, we need to short circuit those thoughts by surrounding ourselves with other like minded people, others also attend meetings for face to face support.

But it's gonna take some real change in your life, the people you hang out with and the activities you now get involved in, Irish culture as you mention can be all about drinking, and so I myself had to push that aside to make Sobriety work!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, you get out of that nightmare by stopping drinking.
I drank alcoholically for ten years. And it only got worse as time went on.
I drank every way possible. Occasionally, bingeing then finally daily.
Alcohol had taken over my life. I hope you can quit before you reach the lows I did.
There are support groups, like AA, that are invaluable. Some use other methods.

I always went back to drinking because after four days I felt better, and 'hey' I can drink again.
What helps keep me sober is remembering what those next days were like. The anxiety, sickness and remorse. I also come here and read posts like yours that remind me of what it's still like 'out there'.
I never want to go back to that place, and you don't have to either.
I truly hope you can quit, and best to you.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Failing at quitting was what convinced me I had more than a drinking problem.

If you are now accepting that you are an alcoholic, and just can't stop, address it accordingly. You might need substance abuse treatment, a recovery program, and maybe face to face support.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the replies.

Sometimes I need to put my thoughts on this out there, it relieves the stress for awhile.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hey Harpoon,

Everybody's different and have their own reasons. I drank for 18 years, my entire adult life. One day, after calling into work sick hungover, I realized I didn't want to live like that anymore. That night I had two glasses of wine and a beer and just thought, "what's the frickin point?" So the next morning I thought of all the good reasons I had not to drink that day. And did the same thing the next day and the next day after that.

The point, I guess, is that I was done. Life without alcohol was horrifying, but it had to be better than the life I was living.

No magic bullet, just reached a place deep, down inside me where I wanted to stop drinking. 21 months sober and counting.