Notices

On My Way

Old 08-07-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On My Way

Hi everyone my name is Gage I am 23 this my first post on here. I have been drinking for about 7 years but I have been on a straight binge since sept of 2012 besides when I was in detox for 3 days and started back again. Whiskey is my devil and I usually drink a bottle of whiskey in a day or a handle over two days. I have lost my girlfriend, apartment, jobs, dropped out of school, and have lost pretty much every friend I have due to me being a miserable drunk. I know I am young but honestly I have already been homeless and literally have nothing besides my mother and my grandma still believing in me. I have been tapering off because cold turkey is not an option I am at about 11 drinks a day. Any insight or personal stories would really help this site saved me when I found it yesterday.

(Btw when I say binge I mean 24/7 like I can only sleep about a couple of hours before I wake up and drink more to go back to sleep and the first thing I do in the morning is drink for almost 720 days straight)

Old 08-07-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gage

yeah I used to drink like that too. Do you have a plan to stop?
Are you going to see a Dr?

D
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Gage, welcome! If you want to get and stay sober, being here will help.

Have you considered seeing a doctor?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome gsandlin. Believe it or not your story is a familiar one, and many here understand what you are going through. It's entirely possible to turn things around if you have the desire to.

Initiallly though you will need to quit drinking obviously. With all due respect, tapering very rarely works. By definition, and alcoholic cannot control their drinking once they start. And tapering is simply an attempt to control your drinking. With the massive amounts you have been drinking, you are correct that cold turkey on your own would be a very bad idea.

Not sure where you live in Illinois, but please check out options for supervised detox. Many areas have low cost or even free detox centers. Call your local AA hotline, they will know of any nearby.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with the others. See a doctor to properly and safely detox. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.

Welcome to a great place for support.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Gage. Welcome to SR. I'm new here, too, but have already been helped so much. It's good to just post and know that you're not alone in all this. Get thee to detox, Brother! And Godspeed. Let us know how you're doing, okay?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you talk to your dr and get the okay to detox safely because tapering is darn near impossible for addicts. I'm glad you found us and there is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Youre in good company. I was that way morning to night. Withdrawals every morning: violent vomiting once or twice every morning till i got some booze in me. I could never taper off. Just ended up getting wasted again. I would consider a doctor. You can do it. You can quit. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you Gage. I drank the same way - there is life after alcohol. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Gage!!