Notices

Too much anxiety

Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too much anxiety

This is my first time here. Been sober since July 17. Really struggling with horrible anxiety. Was a daily drinker for about 15 years. Never had much anxiety until the last few years. I think the anxiety came once a became a full blown alcoholic and started having withdrawal so I hope once I'm sober a few months it will go away. It's really bad and I know a drink will make it go away. For a while at least. But it will come back worse. I don't want to take any medication either. Anyone else go through this.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes -- exercise and meditation can really help.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is my post from a couple of days ago..

I can so relate. I did however seek the help of medication, which you say you don't want.

I believe that when I can finally kick the morning drunks, my meds will being to have more of an effect, but until then, it's morning drinking :/

My post:

I suffered from terrible, debilitating anxiety for weeks. Zoloft prescription was slowly beginning to help, but I couldn't take the mornings. I couldn't get out of bed. One morning I drank a glass of vodka (maybe half a can of beers worth, so 6oz?)

Within moments I could feel the cold icy burn running down my throat and stomach and within a few minutes I felt such tremendous relief and could finally begin my day.

For three weeks this habit continued, getting worse and worse every day. Even on weekends, when I would visit my parents in the country (I live in nyc), I would wake up early and take a giant swig from the vodka bottle in the freezer. Eventually I would bring my own booze cause I think they were catching on.

A couple of people at work noticed but are friends so they said nothing.

One night I poured all my alcohol down the sink and woke up trembling and a wreck. I found two beers in the bottom of the fridge I had missed and chugged them down. It helped, but not nearly as much as half a pint of vodka.

Since then I have been drinking a half bottle of wine in the mornings to cope. I lay in bed drinking swig after swig, waiting for the buzz to kick in and find the motivation to get up. Friends tell me switching types of alcohol doesn't make it better, but I do feel less wrecked at work by noon time when the hangover starts kicking in.

I feel that drinking less at night (usually a six pack and a half to full bottle of white wine) leaves me in much better shape, but is still always find myself convincing myself that one small glass won't hurt. Of course, that turns into the half bottle

I've gone to a couple of AA meetings but felt uncomfortable there. Maybe I have to force myself to go again and keep going.

In the meantime, I don't know what to do.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Dave - great to have you here.

Congratulations on your sober time. I definitely had anxiety, sleeplessness, emotions all over the place. Everything settled down. I felt much better after the first month, but we're all different. Maybe you could check with your doctor?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was drinking in the morning too. Spent three days in the hospital detoxing. That really sucked. I'm over the really painful withdrawal part but still have cravings of course. I'm so used to treating my anxiety with alcohol. Guess I need a new strategy. I just hope it fades over time. I can't really function right now
Old 08-02-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was drinking 24/7 in the end. It definitely did fade Dave - but it's rough going in the early days. Thankfully we never have to put ourselves through this again.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dave, I can say with certainty that your anxiety is alcohol related. I was a heavy drinker for many years and developed crippling anxiety that was only relieved with more booze. When I quit, it was close to a month of sobriety before the anxiety calmed down. Eat healthy, try to get some exercise, and each passing day your anxiety levels should improve.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety is the worst part for me when I stop, I have struggled with this addiction my entire adult life, I feel your pain, I too am ready to deal with whatever it takes to stop for good!

Night sweats, morning heart palpitations, hypochondria, the list goes on, I have experienced being sober for over 2 years... I want that life back.

Stay strong!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The anxiety got much less for me after a month.

Hang in there, it's worth it. Keep coming here and reading, eat well, take walks, sleep as much as possible. Brain and body are healing.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, the anxiety sucked. It went away for me after a few weeks though.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're right-- alcohol both creates and masks anxiety. The intense withdrawal anxiety, for me, did fade. Hang in there! As long as you don't drink, you don't ever have to detox again.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have issues with anxiety too. If you can take a walk, get fresh air that helps me. Sometimes I literally have to sit and tell myself to breathe. Some days are better than others, hope yours keeps getting better!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dave!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here for last times. Actually i did professional boxing but feeling fear to fight any.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have anxiety disorder with depression, and I really understand you. I think recognising that it makes anxiety worse is a huge step forward, at least it was for me as I self-medicated all the time.

If it feels like you need help, see your GP. I still take medication and I don't like having to remember to take pills everyday, but it works for me and mostly keeps me on the straight and narrow!