Notices

day 3

Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 3

3 days sober and cannot sleep...last night I only had 2 hours of sleep and horrible dreams with in those 2 hours. But I did feel great throughout the day. I guess it's part of withdrawal and being used of staying up drinking all night ? Today was a real hot day at work and all I could think about was drinking after work...but I didn't cave in so I'm some what proud of myself. Next step will be quiting smoking it's funny how I couldn't come up with money for certain things but always had enough to get beer and cigarettes. It's sad how you let yourself go. I really haven't looked at myself in the mirror in a long time because I couldn't stand what I seen but things are coming around.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Foryoumyson!

I can really relate to your post. I also had a terrible time sleeping for the first two weeks or so. Isn't that funny though how even with little sleep you still feel soooo much better than a hangover? I had to remind myself of that everyday to keep going. I simply could not do one more hangover. The lack of sleep was challenging though. It does get better.
I can also relate to the not looking in the mirror. I gained about 50 lbs in just a few years from drinking every night. I am also looking forward to looking in the mirror again at a healthy person. I'm on day 33 and my eyes look so much better. No more glassy, red eyes. It will only get better with sobriety. It gives us something to look forward to! Welcome.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Youre doing great. Boy i hated the insomnia and nightmares during the withdrawals. Yeah, i was always so cheap. Didnt have money for so many things. However, i always had 20 plus dollars a day for booze.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought I was going to feel awful with just 2 hours but I felt better then I've felt in I don't know how long. Waking up with a hangover and going to work just sucks. Especially when you smell like a brewery and everyone knows it. But I was looking in the mirror today my eyes are so puffy and red I never really noticed. It's kind of making me nervous that I won't be able to drink again but in the long run I'll look back at that and just laugh it off. Because with drinking my life's so miserable with out it these past 3 days it's been great besides the no sleep.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi foryoumyson, congrats on day 3. Glad your withdrawals aren't that bad. It feels good to feel good doesn't it. Things only get better too. Keep it up
Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
3 days sober and cannot sleep...last night I only had 2 hours of sleep and horrible dreams with in those 2 hours. But I did feel great throughout the day. I guess it's part of withdrawal and being used of staying up drinking all night ? Today was a real hot day at work and all I could think about was drinking after work...but I didn't cave in so I'm some what proud of myself. Next step will be quiting smoking it's funny how I couldn't come up with money for certain things but always had enough to get beer and cigarettes. It's sad how you let yourself go. I really haven't looked at myself in the mirror in a long time because I couldn't stand what I seen but things are coming around.
Man I can relate to everything you said! Congrats on 3 days. The first 6 or 7 were the worst for me. On day 23 now and still have tough time sleeping but so much better than a hangover!! Plus my kids no longer tell me I am grumpy all of the time.

Keep up the good work!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are where I was a month ago. I agree about going to work with a hangover! I did everyday for years. Near the end, I had one morning where I was sitting at my desk, with a cold sweat, and I kept having to get up and literally walk in circles around the room. I could barely type, reading more than a paragraph at a time was a struggle, and my heart was pounding. Never again!

I was also really nervous, scared, and even sad when I thought of never drinking again.

But, I also finally came to the realization that it couldn't possibly get any worse. It wouldn't get any better either if I kept up the daily circus of drinking. It sounds like you are at this point also.

It's been very, very different not drinking. Especially in the evening. However, we slowly start to make new habits and the evenings aren't so bad.

The amount of time I have now is astonishing. It feels like I have hours upon hours to do whatever during the evening. It's scary at first but feels great after awhile.

I've also wondered: How much easier/better/enjoyable/tolerable/peaceful will the workplace be now that I will be working without a hangover? Is this how everyone else feels? What's it like to work without a headache? What's it like to drive to work without drinking two liters of water on the way? LOL. Sorry for my little rant. Your post sure reminded me of those mornings (every morning at work).
Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lol you hit the nail on the head with your rant . I'll never miss having a hangover never mind at work. Some mornings it wasn't to bad until a certain time and it hits you like a ton of bricks. Other mornings forget it I'm lucky i still have this job from all the times I've called out cause of a binge or having a severe hang over.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 3!! Keep it going!!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on making it to day 3! I'm on day 2 today. I also barely slept last night but cannot believe how great I feel today. I have also been having a really stressful day but noticed that I am suprisingly more calm about handling it. I thought it would be the opposite! I like your user name, I assume it is personal as you have a child? My 2 sons are my greatest motivation right now.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea Meraviglioso I have 1 son 16 months and he's my biggest motivation right now I grew up with a alcoholic father he shouldn't have to its a rough up bringing .
Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do it and you should for the both of you. My boys are 5.5 and just over 4. I feel like my older one loves me to pieces but I feel a detachment from my younger one that is heartbreaking. I can't put my finger on it, he is just not as close to me and often prefers the company of others to mine. I have to be honest and say that I think my alcohol abuse in the early formative years have played a big part in this. You are catching yourself just as your son starts to discover more about himself and you, what a great gift you are giving him. Hang in there, I know it is so hard, especially with all of your responsibilities. That is also a bit of a stressful age. I remember at about 2 years old people would ask me "isn't this just the cutest age ever?" with a warm smile and I really wanted to say "actually I'm finding it to be quite annoying!" But of course we love them despite this and we are giving them a big gift by quitting. Now if we can just get some sleep!!!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ya I want to stop before he starts realizing what's going on. I think your son will come around such a young age . And yea it would be nice to sleep in on a Saturday lol those days are long gone once you have children .
Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 3 and I hope you continue your recovery.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3! My first few days were the same. It does get easier! They told me when I went to AA that I never had to feel that way again and they were right! My Dad died from alcoholism and I promised myself I wouldn't be that Father, but I was headed in the same direction. I have 6 children and two are boys, they are everything to me and are definitely motivation when times get hard! Put your sobriety before everything else and you'll be that Dad your son needs!

Congrats again!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I want to thank everyone for there support and this forum I don't know why I ever left. The road to sobriety is going to be a long journey. It's so hard when everywhere you go alcohol is there . Tv, stores, restaurants, bill boards everywhere. And to ultradad I think that's where my father's heading death by alcoholism he drinks every single day since I can remember I wanted my son to have a grandfather to look up to since I never did and it dosent seem like that's going to happen.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Yay! Day 3! Congrats! Like many others, I definitely don't like what I've become because of the drinking. Weight gain... Uck. But that'll come off in time. You're appearance will slowly heal!

I, also, am a smoker. I feel like this early on in sobriety... You need to be kind to yourself. Baby steps. Don't beat yourself up for the smoking. Tackle that when you feel ready to. Don't put too much on your plate at once!

I intend on quitting when I have a few months sobriety down the road at least.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good for you, you can do this!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's what I was thinking about the smoking maybe a few months down the road. Quiting drinking and smoking might be 2 much to handle but it's costing me a fortune a pack a day. I used to be in such good shape but then started smoking and drinking stopped exercising and lost track of my time.