Can Alcohol Make You Seriously Hypotensive?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can Alcohol Make You Seriously Hypotensive?

So, AH supposedly isn't drinking, but he was drinking when he came home yesterday afternoon and was making dinner. He had a slip with the knife while cutting chicken, and clearly needed stitches in his finger.

So he went to get the stitches--I didn't go with him into the doctor, and when we got home, he said that the urgent care doctor told him to stop taking his BP medication and call his doctor because his BP was 60 over something.. I said, "you mean 160." And he said, "No, 60.. " So I asked him if he was sure and he swore they took his BP 3 times and the nurse was freaking out, and the doctor told him he had seriously low blood pressure.

Well I told him I'm not going on vacation next week unless he goes to the doctor (he doesn't want to go before vacation--probably because it would wind up being kind of a buzzkill).

I took his BP with our home BP cuff this morning three times and all three times his blood pressure is now pretty normal (147/90).

Was his hypotension because he was drunk and the doctor didn't know it?? And could it drop and rise 80 pts??

I'm still going to "encourage" him to go to the doctor.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor, but intoxication can lower your BP. Whether or not that's what happened to your husband, we can't safely tell you.

You should probably do some research or get advice from a doctor, maybe one who hasn't treated him. I know hypertension is a symptom of alcoholism, but I don't know if random drops in BP are normal when not drinking.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually alcohol raises one's blood pressure, not lower it; as stated hypertension (high blood pressure) is a symptom os alcoholism.

"Drinking too much alcohol can raise blood pressure to unhealthy levels. Having more than three drinks in one sitting temporarily increases your blood pressure, but repeated binge drinking can lead to long-term increases." (Sheldon G. Sheps; the Mayo Clinic).

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe low blood pressure from intoxication is rare? I know it can happen, but maybe it's a sign of something more serious.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seneca7 View Post
Maybe low blood pressure from intoxication is rare? I know it can happen, but maybe it's a sign of something more serious.
Yes, that's why I think a visit to the doctor is in order. His liver is on borrowed time. But I would think that if he were experiencing hypotension as a result of liver disease it wouldn't fluctuate like that.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are many things that can cause low blood pressure. Blood pressure meds are an obvious one it makes sense he was told to stop taking them. I would follow up with that though because if it was a random low he'll run high without the meds.

Dehydration and lack of B12 can both result in lower blood pressure and both of those things are associated with alcohol consumption so it is possible that the alcohol is indirectly associated with it.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My husband scared me when he was on blood pressure meds. If he forgot a dose, he'd double up on a later dose, which does cause low blood pressure, but he said it wasn't a problem. At one point he was put on blood thinners for 10 days and was supposed to follow up with another doctor to be on them for 6 months. With his work, the alcoholism and accident history, that was a really scary combination. He didn't follow up with that, and hadn't made an appt for his doctor to get more blood pressure meds. Both can be dangerous to quit cold turkey, but that was up to him, and maybe he did taper off - I'm not sure. He did agree to see a naturopathic doctor who put him an a high dose of fish oils that eventually was brought down to a lower daily level as his blood pressure and the 'stickiness' improved. One thing he was rightfully proud of at rehab was having a good blood pressure without being on meds. That seems rare as alcoholism progresses.

Good thoughts and prayers for both you and your husband. It's hard to deal with alcoholism AND with all it's symptoms that attack from almost every angle. Have either of you talked with Licensed Addictions Counselors?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

btw - threatening with canceling your vacation if he won't see the doctor doesn't do anything for him taking responsibility for his life. What happens when you're gone and he's on his own for the week? The three C's hold true: You didn't Cause this, you can't Control this and you can't Cure it. The harder I started working on my own recovery and letting go of that illusion of control, the more things started to change. Good luck with getting away, relaxing and enjoying your vacation.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He could have been in shock cos of the bleeding and the cut.I'd say that was more likely then alcohol abuse,
Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
btw - threatening with canceling your vacation if he won't see the doctor doesn't do anything for him taking responsibility for his life. What happens when you're gone and he's on his own for the week? The three C's hold true: You didn't Cause this, you can't Control this and you can't Cure it. The harder I started working on my own recovery and letting go of that illusion of control, the more things started to change. Good luck with getting away, relaxing and enjoying your vacation.
We're actually going on vacation together. As a family, we go to the same place every year. Four years ago, my MIL died when she was with us on vacation, and I was having flashbacks of the experience, knowing I don't want another one like that.

Plus, I'm putting boundaries in place for myself on vacation because over the last three-four years his drinking has marred an otherwise wonderful family time. We're staying at a house on the same site as a hotel, so I have an escape plan for evenings that go out of control.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tansy View Post
He could have been in shock cos of the bleeding and the cut.I'd say that was more likely then alcohol abuse,
Perhaps, but the cut wasn't THAT big. He's lucky he didn't cut his finger off, but maybe you're right.

Anyway, update is that his BP dropped again this afternoon. "Coincidentally" he had been drinking. I called the doctor and it doesn't seem to be an emergency at all. I looked up "BP reading fluctuations" and it's not really that uncommon.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SoloMio---Over the course of 24hrs....b/p can fluctuate a bit--according to activities, medications, time of day, etc. That is normal in a normal person.Alcohol is a depressant to body functions INITALLY (while alcohol blood l evel is high). It can drop even lower if other drugs are ingested (like diazepam (valium) and various narcotic dru gs). Incorrect taking of B/P meds can also drop it...or contribute to the confusion.

This is a thing you all can do: make a graph on a piece of paper.
Take the blood pressure 4-5 times a day (ideal). 3 times is o,k,
Take it with him lying/sitting/ and standing. Allow a few m inutes between each position change!
Keep a careful record---time of day/what he is doing at the time/what meds., etc.

This will give you a more realistic picture.

My first guess is that he is drinking and possibly drugging with something behind your back. He may not be taking his meds correctly, either---taking a double dose, sometimes, maybe!

I doubt that his blood pressure is his primary problem.

Good luck.

dandylion
Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SoloMio....I forgot to mention...take his pulse each time you record his blood pressure. Note if it is regular or irregular in rythm.

This kind of record is extremely important to the doctor who is seeing him.

dandylion