Notices

have had some drinks but not gotten drunk

Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

have had some drinks but not gotten drunk

its me ....again. last week for no reason at all i didn't drink for 3 nights straight. the next night i had 3 and a half cans, the next i had 4 and a half, the next i had 4 and a half and last night i didn't drink again.
is this progress? when i did drink i felt queasy and was forced to give up the beer much earlier than i usually do since i was so nauseous after those few.
i think its progress. i feel like my body is slowly fighting back and my addiction is taking some good hits......like a natural thing, my body refuses to take anymore.
has anyone else experienced this?
although i have drank,, i haven't gotten drunk in over a week (and that is the whole point of me drinking so it hasn't been worth it). i'm feeling good about this and hope it will last this time...of course i will have to resist-my body can't do it all alone.
x
Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smadams11 View Post
last week for no reason at all i didn't drink for 3 nights straight.
x
No reason? Are you trying to give up alcohol or reduce/moderate consumption? You ask if this is progress yet I have no idea what you are trying to achieve.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi smadams

I'm not sure what your goal is, but I know that for me I could always control myself for a time but I always went back to my usual pattern of drinking - totally wasted.

It took so much effort, that in the end it was just easier for me not to drink at all.
D
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too, have been there many times and agree with the rest, what are you trying to accomplish? I have done what you have and one of those many good nights ended up bad and I know that drinking eventually wins the battle and not me!
Just remember we are here for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

even if I had some nights when I didn't drink much it wasn't long before I did get very drunk again.

If your aim is to quit then it isn't progress. Normal drinkers can't control their drinking, no matter how much they try. A period of abstinence or reduced drinking does not mean it is under control
Old 07-29-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey matey

read my post from yesterday

mike
Old 07-29-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Depends what the goal is, for me I couldn't achieve moderation, things would spiral as bad as ever again in matter of time, so Sobreity was the only option!!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you originally joined SR because you either knew or thought you may have
a problem, then you probably do. I've heard of people moderating, but for most
it's just an excuse to continue drinking. For me it's disastrous and easier
to not drink at all.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That would not be real progress for me - more like one step forward and two steps back. I would eventually wind up drunk.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, totally, that wouldn't be progress for me at all. I've tried to cut down and moderate my drinking around 500 times in my life.. it's not what you wanna hear, but it doesn't work. It just doesn't, man! I noticed that whenever I tried to set up a plan to drink less.. it was way too much work, especially when you factor in the fact that it never worked. I've tried it all - drink light beer exclusively, never drink in public, drink only on weekends, drink after 6PM only, never use my phone when I'm drinking, never drink two nights in a row, etc... when I take that first drink, the only rule in my head is "keep the beer coming"
Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by smadams11 View Post
its me ....again. last week for no reason at all i didn't drink for 3 nights straight. the next night i had 3 and a half cans, the next i had 4 and a half, the next i had 4 and a half and last night i didn't drink again.

is this progress?
I am reminded of a quote by Abraham Lincoln, who said, "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward."

Your drinking...is it walking slowly? Or walking backwards?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I am reminded of a quote by Abraham Lincoln, who said, "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward."

Your drinking...is it walking slowly? Or walking backwards?
i really don't know to be honest.
thank you all for your honesty. as i said, this isn't something i planned to do-i just didn't drink for reasons i don't know-i guess i just didn't want to. the reason i was asking if it was progress is exactly that. its so out of the norm to not want to drink. i don't know. i just wanted your opinions.
and you are all right, it isn't quitting and it probably won't work.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

I have had some times where I will just have a glass of wine or two. I hated it. I don't know about you but I drank to get drunk and didn't see the point in having only a few.

So when I did say "oh I moderated my drinking!" It would really make me sad inside that I couldn't get drunk. A day or two later... I'd drown myself in multiple bottles of wine.

I don't know what I'm trying to say.

I assume you're here for a reason. It is risky business to attempt to just "have a few".

I just re read my post and don't realize what I'm getting at!

Listen to everyone else!

Good luck in your journey! :-)
Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
I have had some times where I will just have a glass of wine or two. I hated it. I don't know about you but I drank to get drunk and didn't see the point in having only a few.

So when I did say "oh I moderated my drinking!" It would really make me sad inside that I couldn't get drunk. A day or two later... I'd drown myself in multiple bottles of wine.

I don't know what I'm trying to say.

I assume you're here for a reason. It is risky business to attempt to just "have a few".

I just re read my post and don't realize what I'm getting at!

Listen to everyone else!

Good luck in your journey! :-)

you are exactly right in what you say. i only drink to get drunk so for me, mentally at least, its like not drinking for a week if you see what i mean.
its not something i can explain properly. if i had intended to stop drinking for 3 nights and managed it, i would class it as progress. the fact that i didnt intend to do it and i succeeded at it makes it even better in my mind-i cant put it into words!
but i think you understood better than anyone else. i didnt set out to achieve anything that time-thats the point i was trying to make.