Notices

made it through the weekend.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

made it through the weekend.

Just wanted to say thanks for your support , and headlump, I made it through the weekend. A few trials and tribulations which made me say to myself"and they wonder why I drink"...
Well I used my mantra from headlump...mouldy grapes.....I am kinda pleased with myself but also sad that I am like this with wine....why can't I be normal? I must admit I am ok with a day at a time but honestly scared and worried at the thought of never being able to have wine ever again....it makes me sad... is that very wrong? Am I doomed to fail?
so far im keeping things low key...no big announcements, just saying I dont feel like it today...is that a cowards answer?
Sorry I seem to be rambling....
xxx
Xx
Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's fantastic petals!!

Don't worry too much about the ins and outs of things, 1 day at a time, the main thing is you were Sober for another 24hrs, onwards and upwards!!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I must admit I am ok with a day at a time but honestly scared and worried at the thought of never being able to have wine ever again....it makes me sad... is that very wrong? Am I doomed to fail?
so far im keeping things low key...no big announcements, just saying I dont feel like it today...is that a cowards answer?
Forever seemed impossible for me too, so I did it a day at a time for a while...but I committed to backing up the next day as well, no matter what.

Before long I had a string of sober days and forever no longer seemed so scary or impossible

congrats on your sober weekend!

D
Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by petals View Post
Well I used my mantra from headlump...mouldy grapes.....I am kinda pleased with myself but also sad that I am like this with wine....why can't I be normal? I must admit I am ok with a day at a time but honestly scared and worried at the thought of never being able to have wine ever again....it makes me sad... is that very wrong? Am I doomed to fail?
Xx
There is nothing cowardly about what you're doing, petals. It takes courage to admit you have a problem and to start the process of changing. Many people never get that far.

At the beginning, I couldn't have thought about never having wine again. And if it hadn't been for all I learnt here on SR about moderation and relapse, then, after 3 months or so, I would have thought I was good to go! But reading about others' experiences made me think again.

Oh, and the little matter of feeling so good physically and so different mentally which eventually made me never want to drink again anyway....

You'll get there, petals, and it all becomes so much easier when you do
Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have the same feelings about wine, that was my favorite drink. I felt cheated by life yesterday that I couldn't enjoy a few glasses on a nice Sunday, or a frozen cocktail cocktail by the beach. As I wake up early Monday morning though, I have no headache, body aches, feeling like I am too exhausted to get out of bed even though I "slept" 9 hours. This is our reward for not giving in, and I think it's wonderful. Plus, if you are like me, a nice "glass" of wine on a Sunday would have turned into 2 bottles very fast. Ugh, I don't miss those headaches!!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks guys, i woke with a headache but it is not a hangover....i have chronic tension headaches daily and frequent migraines i am hoping as i travel along this path they may ease off a bit. i know i have some life issues to deal with, will begin when i feel a bit stronger. i wish i could get this on my phone, to check in more often, but i've got a very old brick!xx
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done, petals! You did great.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well done on your sober weekend! congrats!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done! Another weekend behind you. Good for you.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job making it through the weekend Petals! Hope your headache / migraine subside so you can feel better...
Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go!! Every milestone makes you stronger, and the addiction weaker, which means you now have more reason to be proud and hopeful than you did last week!!!

As far as being sad, I think that's just part of the process. "Never" sounded sooooo hard to imagine to me, like a huge mountain I had to climb. Now I think, "I never have to drink again? What a relief!" Give it time and you'll see; I'm way more relaxed, I have way more fun socializing now, and it's a pretty good bet I'm more fun to be around, too. Congrats!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by petals View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for your support , and headlump, I made it through the weekend. A few trials and tribulations which made me say to myself"and they wonder why I drink"...
Sorry I seem to be rambling....
xxx
Xx
I completely understood your comment about missing wine. I will miss beer and vodka. But I will not miss hangovers, blackouts, puking in my bed, being to sick to work, and all other " wonderful " things that go along with beer and vodka.

Look at the positive opportunities ahead of you, and take it one day at a time sober.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was a weekend binge drinker, and I can relate to the challenge of staying sober thru the weekend. So getting thru the weekend sober is a HUGE achievement.

If the temptation to drink on the weekends arises again, just remember that you can finally enjoy the weekend with NO HANGOVER, and how much better weekends are because of it .

Again, congrats
Old 07-28-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had the same feelings about never drinking again. It sounded like a terrible thought in the beginning. It was easier for me to think in terms of one day at a time. I focused on the present day, and thought about how my body was getting a break, at least for one day I wasn't abusing my body. Then the next day I decided to do it again. Before I knew it I had a few weeks and it was getting easier. I focused on how much better I felt, and it kept me going. I also checked in on SR a few times per day and read posts about others who were getting sober and those who weren't and were suffering. It kept sobriety a priority for me.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Weekends ARE tough,Petals. At least for me. You should be very proud!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Weekends are hard I know!! But it is worth it ...The way I look at it is that I am HEALING my body from all the crap I put it through. YOU CAN DO IT !!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, weekends are very tough, in the week , yup I usually share a bottle with hubby...each night, not always half for him though.... I get round that by not going shopping, if I have to go out I leave money and cards behind...saves me accidently buying wine.
weekends are juzt soooo much wkrse, he comes shopping with me, we somefimes go away for fhe weekend, he goes up the wk e aisld... 4 for sat/sunday night.last weekend I just got grumpy and said I was too tired etc... what will I do next weekend I wonder?

mmm some planning needed