Notices

Day 5 and more depressed.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 and more depressed.

I am not having overwhelming cravings, but I am getting steadily more depressed. The initial motivation is wearing off, and now it's down to the drudgery of day to day existence. I have an appointment with my doctor a week from tomorrow, but any medication he gives me for depression will take weeks to kick in. I just want to go to sleep, but my kids are here for the summer (3 more weeks) and I can't. Small things keep happening that diminish the effort I am making to put on a brave face. Nothing catastrophic, but enough to make me stop and say, "really???" Not giving up. Just wish I could cry, sleep or punch someone. :/
Old 07-21-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're feeling down. Congratulations on 5 days sober!

Have you begun to make changes in your life besides stopping drinking? For me, I needed to add new and healthy activities to my life. I hope you begin to feel better.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Depression is very common in early recovery. Five days is barely thru the physical withdrawal. Give yourself more sober time to 'even out' emotionally. Try not to forecast into the future, just take it one day at a time. Focus on today.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe try an over the counter sleep aid? Benadryl works for me when I can't sleep. Things will settle down in a while. The first few weeks were the pits.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I know it's to be expected and I am sure that after I finally get to an AA meeting tomorrow I'll feel a lot better. Meetings always make me feel better. I haven't started any new healthy habits, but I did just make a cake. It was something to distract me for a little while and it should make my kids stop bickering with each other for 5 minutes, once it's done baking. I might try to get my kids to go for a walk with me later on, too.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through!! You can do this!!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not easy at first but so well worth keeping going. Remember nearly at a week then 10 days then quickly two weeks , the time goes by quickly.
John.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blackjay View Post
I am not having overwhelming cravings, but I am getting steadily more depressed. The initial motivation is wearing off, and now it's down to the drudgery of day to day existence. I have an appointment with my doctor a week from tomorrow, but any medication he gives me for depression will take weeks to kick in. I just want to go to sleep, but my kids are here for the summer (3 more weeks) and I can't. Small things keep happening that diminish the effort I am making to put on a brave face. Nothing catastrophic, but enough to make me stop and say, "really???" Not giving up. Just wish I could cry, sleep or punch someone. :/
DAY5 is a serious BUMMER! hang in there - the withdrawals are almost done!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 5 for myself was about the tailend of the sadness. Everyday after will get tenfold better than the day before. Great job keep it up.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

blackjay, is the depression new since you quit? If so, it will probably pass in the next few weeks, especially if you eat well, exercise and drink a lot of water. Anti-depressants can be great, but like you said they can take a few weeks to work. My biggest problem with anti-depressants is the side effects. It may have to try several different ones to find one that you can tolerate and that works. Five days is great, pat yourself on the back. At about 5 days I felt so depressed and exhausted I considered having a drink to feel normal. I am at day 17 now and today I woke up feeling pretty good for the first time. It is definitely tough, but when you start to come out on the other side it will be worth it. Especially for your kids.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

blackjay, you are doing more for your kids than you realize. When you are sober, they notice. And when they start to realize that you are a sober person they REALLY notice. And they will respect and appreciate you SO much more.

Stay strong. Keep doing what you are doing. And know that you are doing the right thing.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, Blackjay?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mairie View Post
DAY5 is a serious BUMMER!!
Agreed, mine was truly awful. But...it got better after that!