Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

quitting drinking would be so much easier if 5pm was bedtime:-/

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This always happens. Between 3pm and 5pm. I get so bored and anxious. Its time to cook dinner. I'm fine early in the day, but my coffee is wearing off, I've been around my 3 kids all day and ALL I can think about is having some wine to relax. Best reminder to myself is that after the first bottle and a half, I'm happy, I'm fun, we have a good evening, I put them to bed, listen to music and clean, but around 9, the blackout begins. I start drunk texting people, smoke a whole pack of cigarettes, then wake up with my head throbbing, panicking and checking my phone to see who I might have called or texted while drunk, then sitting there confused because I have no recollection of opening that third bottle.. and usually finishing it. No matter how much I want wine, that just sounds effing awful. Im so tired of it. Looks like tomorrow will be day 4 of feeling good! I'm excited for the weekend
Old 07-17-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 4. 5pm was a tough time for me too, at end of the day I "deserved" a beer. But just like you it was never one. And towards the end there was no "good"...I simply needed to drink so my heart rate stayed under 100 and my BP didn't spike.

The good news is that it gets better, much much better. Try a cold water or soda, relax In the yard or take a walk. You'll discover all the good things you missed out on while you were fixated on the wine
Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ready2beSober

can you mix up your routine a little? maybe make dinner earlier, make some you time between 3-5 - or even playtime with the kids?

D
Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you begin drinking on an empty stomach. That's always a killer. You just end up drinking dinner first. Good job on four days.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to do the same thing. Wine was my treat or my inspiration to start cooking dinner and etc. My day is full of gaps now. Times I used to drink. I used to settle in after dinner was over with wine. Go to bed with a glass of wine. It will take time to fill those gaps but I can't drink anymore because I have no power to control my drinking.

Good luck! I have been juicing, trying different teas and etc. I have cut way down on coffee, I still drink 1-2 cups in the morning but it makes me too anxious and anxiety used to lead me to drink.

When you want to drink, try to go here. That is what I do. It takes awhile to stop a habit.

I've got 3 kids also...and as moms, everyone seems to give us permission to drink. That is what I find. I had to really come to my own decision. My husband was happy I quit but he never confronted me, never told me he was concerned or that he wanted me to quit.

I have been drinking much less over the past year. I haven't driven with alcohol in the car for over a year, maybe 2, not sure. At my worst, I had to take booze with me on every trip.

When I was able to stop that, it felt like a huge victory but I was still trying to wait until 7pm, then 5pm...then since summer break, I started drinking in the morning again or by noon.

I can't control it and it ebbs and flows. Sometimes heavy, sometimes moderate but I felt like a slave to alcohol. When I drink, alcohol owns me.

I feel free now. Just keep fighting those empty times during the day. I am on here first thing in the morning, in the afternoon after coming home from errands, every evening...a lot. All the old drinking times!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

4 o clock was a difficult time for me too. I changed up my routine as Dee suggested, took walks, rans errands etc. Once I got past 6:30 - 7, I felt much better, would take a nice bath, get in my jammies and relax with some snacks. Nothing wrong with an early bed time....makes a sober sunrise all the better!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The other thing is that you may need to start having an afternoon snack...cottage cheese and fruit, or string cheese and fruit are good snacks.

Being hungry was good when I drank, that meant I would get the buzz faster. Ugh. Then I just pretty much stopped eating at the end unless it was popcorn or nuts. Yes. I was nuts.

In the beginning of my sobriety I would often go to bed around 6PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, make it bedtime! My drinking hours were mostly from 10:00 pm till when the beer ran out! Now, I go to bed at 8:30 or 9:00 and get up early! Life is so much better with enjoying watching the sunrise with a coffee in hand and a clean and sharp mind!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here.

Snack on high-protein food, or whatever helps you to get through that time. And, change your routine. This can work really well.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome and congrats on four days sober. It gets better.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job. Whats been working for me is what you are saying. I can only think of the bad from alcohol. The shame and remorse became more than the drink was worth.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is exactly my night! Omit the cigs, but so close. I know that morning panic. Totally relate to the drunk Facebook and text messages. I don't dare call people.... I slur! But I'm sure they can tell with my weird comments and post! I also make plans to do things with people, that the next day I don't want to do! It's funny! And really sad...
Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job o Day 4!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What is to stop you going to bed at say, 7.30pm or whenever dinner is finished and washed up? If you are drinking anyway (as I did) you aren't achieving anything by being up so you could go to bed directly after dinner, get up way early and get on with your day. Do it for a week and then think again.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all your helpful suggestions! I agree that I need to change my weekday schedule, its just hard to do. I feel like my work is never ending! But I will try to get dinner started early so I'm not spending those hours sitting around fixated on drinking.

As far as going to bed early, my kids are pretty young (yougest is 5) so going to bed before them isnt an option unless I want my house burned down lol. I can never fall asleep before 11/12 anyway.

Anyway, by 8pm we were all watching tv and eating ice cream, they were in bed by 9 and I went to bed at my normal time and woke up at 6am and had coffee. Its a great feeling to wake up so early and be excited about it. When I'd wake up that early with a hangover I'd freak out and drink a ton of water and stress on going to back to sleep hoping my hangover would get just a little better, so the rest of the day wouldnt be pure hell lol.

Feeling a little weird about the weekend.. even though I always have my kids with me, we either go somewhere where theres drinking, or friends/family come here- the kids play while the adults barbecue and drink, or we meet up somewhere like the beach, same story! It'll be my first sober weekend in quite some time.. I'm pretty excited about it! (Nervous at the same time) hoping nobody calls to say they're coming over.. I need to be prepared for that!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ready2beSober View Post
This always happens. Between 3pm and 5pm. I get so bored and anxious. Its time to cook dinner. I'm fine early in the day, but my coffee is wearing off, I've been around my 3 kids all day and ALL I can think about is having some wine to relax. Best reminder to myself is that after the first bottle and a half, I'm happy, I'm fun, we have a good evening, I put them to bed, listen to music and clean, but around 9, the blackout begins. I start drunk texting people, smoke a whole pack of cigarettes, then wake up with my head throbbing, panicking and checking my phone to see who I might have called or texted while drunk, then sitting there confused because I have no recollection of opening that third bottle.. and usually finishing it. No matter how much I want wine, that just sounds effing awful. Im so tired of it. Looks like tomorrow will be day 4 of feeling good! I'm excited for the weekend
This is such a honest and helpful string of posts. I don't know when I have had a sober weekened and I am a newbie so I am going to go 1/2 hour at a time as needed. It is also Friday night and that requires planning. I am going to try to do a quick but slower paced run and then enjoy my greatest post-run love - ice water, ice water, ice water. I hope that helps. Thank you for this great group. I hope I don't get too clingy.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Someone mentioned cutting down on caffeine - that's a good idea. You may want to look into hypoglycemia - I drank myself into it. Drinking coffee causes a glucose (blood sugar) drop in me, and if I were in early recovery, the 3-5 PM coffee crash along with having little food in my stomach at that time would certainly explain why I would have a strong craving for alcohol. Maybe try cutting down on the caffeine (temporarily) and eat an afternoon healthy snack, around 3-3:30. Something with a lot of protein like nuts - try and avoid sugar, which gives a quick fix but results in the same crash as the caffeine.

As others also suggested, some light exercise is fantastic to side track a craving.

Good job on your sober time
Old 07-18-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, Ready, I can so relate to everything you posted and your feelings. I have been there and done that too many times. You and your children deserve so much better. I hope you decide to stick with this and you will see that your other problems and stressors will lessen or be removed completely. I promise! And you will be able to deal with life's issues without getting overly upset, depressed and drinking. Welcome.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Climber122 View Post
Someone mentioned cutting down on caffeine - that's a good idea. You may want to look into hypoglycemia - I drank myself into it. Drinking coffee causes a glucose (blood sugar) drop in me, and if I were in early recovery, the 3-5 PM coffee crash along with having little food in my stomach at that time would certainly explain why I would have a strong craving for alcohol. Maybe try cutting down on the caffeine (temporarily) and eat an afternoon healthy snack, around 3-3:30. Something with a lot of protein like nuts - try and avoid sugar, which gives a quick fix but results in the same crash as the caffeine.

As others also suggested, some light exercise is fantastic to side track a craving.

Good job on your sober time
I know, I really do!! I just cant stand the thought of giving up coffee right now! I stopped taking pain pills a month ago (I was on them for 5 years) gave up drinking 4 days ago, and I gave up smoking 3 days ago, please don't take my coffee lol!!! I'm only on my 2nd cup today. I'll *try* to cut myself off after this one
Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Forgot to add, I took my kids for a walk to the park this morning and I did a little yoga when we got back and it DID make me feel so much better. Cant wait to get back to my regular exercise habits!!