Notices

Just starting out

Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just starting out

Hey all! I have been to this site on multiple occasions and finally decided to join. I am new to this and am excited to be a part of such a supportive group. It became clear several months ago that I had a problem...can't believe it has taken this long considering all of the damage that alcohol has caused in my life over the last decade or so. It's easy to convince yourself that "partying" is normal when you're in your late teens and early twenties but at 32, drinking 12+ beers by myself, most of the week, with no interest in joining others for drinks, it becomes difficult to convince yourself that you are "partying." I started drinking for popularity in high school, kept drinking for fun (or some twisted perception of fun) in my twenties and now drink to hide, in a sense. Which is weird because I used to be so social. Anyway, after multiple attempts to abstain this year, even for a short period of time, and waking up the next morning ridden with pain and extreme anxiety, it's time to stop. My God, the withdrawals alone are enough to quit!! They seem to get worse every time. Alcohol is like a magnet, before I know it, I am at the liquor store, buying booze wondering "How did I get here?" Thank you guys for listening! And if anyone would like to comment on some of the positive things that lie ahead for someone who is on Day 1, it would be greatly appreciated! You may remember what it's like, sitting at home, withdrawing and feeling like the World is going to end...that's me right now haha.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Chris

You'll find a lot of support here - read around and post as much as you like.
Check out the Class of July support thread too:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2014-a-20.html

D
Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74!! You always have great posts and make an awesome effort to stay involved in supporting others
Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome Chris
Great job with posting. Day One sucks and I do remember , but the best is that it leads to day 2 and that sucks less, hang in there it definitely doesn't get worse. Sign on often , post, read all the forums. You got this , great decision
Wish you well
Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you dwtbd!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
Hey all! I have been to this site on multiple occasions and finally decided to join. I am new to this and am excited to be a part of such a supportive group. It became clear several months ago that I had a problem...can't believe it has taken this long considering all of the damage that alcohol has caused in my life over the last decade or so. It's easy to convince yourself that "partying" is normal when you're in your late teens and early twenties but at 32, drinking 12+ beers by myself, most of the week, with no interest in joining others for drinks, it becomes difficult to convince yourself that you are "partying." I started drinking for popularity in high school, kept drinking for fun (or some twisted perception of fun) in my twenties and now drink to hide, in a sense. Which is weird because I used to be so social. Anyway, after multiple attempts to abstain this year, even for a short period of time, and waking up the next morning ridden with pain and extreme anxiety, it's time to stop. My God, the withdrawals alone are enough to quit!! They seem to get worse every time. Alcohol is like a magnet, before I know it, I am at the liquor store, buying booze wondering "How did I get here?" Thank you guys for listening! And if anyone would like to comment on some of the positive things that lie ahead for someone who is on Day 1, it would be greatly appreciated! You may remember what it's like, sitting at home, withdrawing and feeling like the World is going to end...that's me right now haha.
I'm 33, had a pattern somewhat similar to you. Agreed, the "party" sure ends by our age, everyone else is growing up, getting married, having kids, and we're still boozing (usually alone by this point). Welcome aboard, there is a lot of support here
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Chris,
I am also 32 and can relate to many things you wrote in your post. I knew I had turned a corner when the drinking started at home and alone. Also every night. It didn't matter if it was a work night, weekend, holiday, or even something important the next day like a job interview. I drank the 12 beers anyway. I can also relate to your description of waking up the next day in disbelief that I did it again! Again! I like the posts on here where people describe how they "quit everyday" between waking and 5 pm. I did too. "Never again" became a daily saying in my life only to rinse and repeat. At the end for me, it was truly not fun anymore. The buzz even changed to an anxious weirdness. Why am I not feeling great after six beers? 10 beers? What the heck? I have found that there is actually some relief in not drinking. If you're like me, planning to keep the stash at an acceptable level every night so I'd have enough to get wasted and pass out was like having a second job. If there were only, let's say, 8 beers in the fridge, panic would set in. Anyways, give sobriety a try. I am on day 19 and in some ways it is easier than I thought it would be. There are very tough moments but they pass. Just think, no more hangovers!

Last edited by MelindaFlowers; 07-15-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Chris and welcome. The beginning days can be a little hard as your body adjusts. Drink lots of water. It sounds like your ready to sober up and rejoin life. If you get the urge to drink, come on here first and post something. Support always helps. The days get better in time. The doom and gloom goes away as you feel better. Smiles come back. It's all worth it. Best wishes to you!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Chris, welcome! I also started getting a bad feeling (that I didn't do anything about for 10 years) when I started to drink more and more by myself. It's the worst when you think you should quit, but every night (or whenever) you find yourself polishing off a bottle of wine or half a bottle of vodka or rum. I think joining here is a great first step in actually stopping, and not just "trying". Glad you joined us!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Haha, oh yeah, beer counting has become very familiar. "Oh crap, I thought 8 beers would be enough! I am not gonna sit around with a mild buzz. Wait, what time is it? Are the liquor stores open?!" I also relate to the buzz not being fun anymore. As soon as I took the first sip, instant regret set in. What a strange routine. Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris, in on day 5 and its better than day 1. Hang in there an keep posting.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The hardest for me, or not really hard but weird, is that there will be times (many times) when you will realize, wait, at this time I normally had a drink...now what? For example, today I took my kids to the mall and came home. After a day of shopping, it felt strange to not be sitting with a glass of wine in my hand and the bottle close by. I always felt I earned it/deserve it for...well...really any reason.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
Oh crap, I thought 8 beers would be enough!
Enough is never enough.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh, I just noticed that you would like to hear some positives about quitting. This will help me too to make a little list of what's been surprising and positive since I stopped 19 days ago.

The positives:
1. Acid reflux is gone
2. My appetite is back to normal. I used to eat tons and tons of fatty foods to try and cure the hangover. Now I am eating regular food with normal portions
3. Bathroom "duties" are back to normal.
4. Saving about $10 a day, so $190.
5. Wake up feeling okay.
6. I can go shopping and leave the house after 6 pm. 10 pm at Target? Who knew?
7. My house has stayed cleaner without much effort.
8. The stomach pains are 90 percent gone.
9. I have lost 8 lbs. Only 40 to go!
10. I can make phone calls after 7 pm.
11. I have stopped thinking about my own mortality all the time.
12. No more counting/planning to always have those 12-15 standard units of alcohol in the house at all time.
13. I can actually exercise and have been to the gym several times.
14. My blood pressure is down from hypertension levels to regular levels.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome list MelindaFlowers! I got a chuckle out of a few of those!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

almost done with day 3 and def better than day 1 or 2. I think 2 is the worst. Getting up and getting work done or walking def sped it along for me. and LOTS of water.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chris!! Great to have you onboard!!