Notices

Need a Sponsor!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a Sponsor!

I have been sober for 10 days and have been to a meeting each day. I have lots of literature, Big Book, Living Sober, Twelve Steps, etc. I have been thinking a lot about Step 1 and I am wondering if I need to do it with a sponsor? I have become quite friendly with some of the women I have seen at different meetings and do feel comfortable with 2 of them. Thoughts? I am feeling wonderful! No physical issues, no cravings, yet! I am spending quite a bit of time in reflection and feel ready and motivated to move forward! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Topoford View Post
I have been sober for 10 days and have been to a meeting each day. I have lots of literature, Big Book, Living Sober, Twelve Steps, etc. I have been thinking a lot about Step 1 and I am wondering if I need to do it with a sponsor? I have become quite friendly with some of the women I have seen at different meetings and do feel comfortable with 2 of them. Thoughts? I am feeling wonderful! No physical issues, no cravings, yet! I am spending quite a bit of time in reflection and feel ready and motivated to move forward! Thanks!
Congratulations ! Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Follow your instinct and ask for a sponsor. I would suggest
you ask the one you choose if she has done all the
steps, before you seal the deal. It appears you want to get
into the steps so it is important to get a person who knows
what they are talking about.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good on ya!!
"I have been thinking a lot about Step 1 and I am wondering if I need to do it with a sponsor?"

my opinion- a sponsor can help you understand what step 1 is about but its you that has to do it.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I use many folks in AA/recovery as my
temporary sponsors. Many have no idea
I use them to help me stay sober each
day because each brings a little something
important to add to my already solid, stable,
strong foundation I live my life upon each
day I remain sober.

I do whatever I need to do to stay sober
because living a sober life in recovery
beats the heck out of living a hungover
life trying to deal with life on lifes terms.

And the rewards of the promises stated
in the Big Book of AA do come true the
longer I remain sober to enjoy for yrs.
to come.

My main sponsor I asked to guide me
from the beginning of my recovery remains
the same. She guided me using her experiences,
strengths and hopes in her own recovery and
life and that was what I truly wanted. If I
ever need her, I know she will be there to
lean on for support, caring and understanding.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get a sponsor....My sponsor has been a miracle in my life.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I sat in AA for two years first time around, thinking about how to "work" Step 1.

Finally hooked up with some guys who are all about the BB & guess what ?

Step one is a simple admonition.

"We learned that we had to concede to our innermost selves ......."

Definitely get a sponsor. My advice is ask two questions.

"Have you had a spiritual awakening as a result of taking the 12 steps"

"Can you describe the 4th step inventory process"

If they fumble or bumble an answer with lots of Ummmms & aaaaahs, or don't give a direct answer or say something like "your not ready" to work the steps.

You've barked up the wrong tree.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Attend daily meetings, get to know people, keep a eye out for women who's sobreity you aspire too, that have worked the steps and sponsored previously and stay away from engaging in any relationships in early sobreity
Old 11-14-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

The whole premise of my being here to find someone to sponsor if you want I'll talk to you about my recovery I'm a 12 step recovery person I can get you through the literature where things will make sense to you but you have to really listen and believe everything that you're going through I have gone through alsonothing that you say would make me judge you because I've done it too if you want to talk to me maybe we could continue this
Old 11-14-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I were to work with you the first thing I'd want to know is everything about how you've been controlling your drinking without the steps and then we need to talk about the consequences that occurred even know you were trying to control it we have to realize that we have come to whether it's a high or low bottom that's why were herepick at least a temporary sponsor and I do it right now whether it's me or someone else you know better but I can get easy step one it's the easiest step have you admitted you were powerless over alcohol and if you haven't then make a list as to why believe that you're still power over alcohol and that's where we would start
Old 11-14-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Step12 View Post
If I were to work with you the first thing I'd want to know is everything about how you've been controlling your drinking without the steps and then we need to talk about the consequences that occurred even know you were trying to control it we have to realize that we have come to whether it's a high or low bottom that's why were herepick at least a temporary sponsor and I do it right now whether it's me or someone else you know better but I can get easy step one it's the easiest step have you admitted you were powerless over alcohol and if you haven't then make a list as to why believe that you're still power over alcohol and that's where we would start
Originally Posted by Friend Of Bill View Post
The fourth step an autobiography the directions are between pages 64 and 69 it's a fact finding fact facing process not a feeling finding process we simply put it on paper go to the next one put it on paper go to the next one don't dwell don't reminisce don't daydream you get caught up in all these and feelings and emotions and close the book we simply face the facts we list people with whom we are angry we ask ourselves why we are angry and it's usually our self-esteem fear Security personal relationships sexual relationships pocketbook and ambition which are affected after making a three columns I'm resentful at the cause 8 words or less affects my we move on example I'm resentful at my dad he lied to me affects my self esteem fear Security personal relationship now the key to the future is the fourth column the turnaround without the fourth column we are on able to do steps 5 6 7 9 10 11 the fourth column simply asks where was I selfish what did I want or not want where am i dishonest how did I justify being angry the lie I told myself where was I self-seeking did I confront you or argue put you down in front of others we're stuffed the feelings what was I afraid of I'm resentful at my dad he lied to me it affected my self esteem fear Security personal relationship where was a selfish I didn't want him to lie where was I just honest I never lied where was I self-seeking I stuffed the feelings what was I afraid of not being loved now there's a fear column then a sex inventory I put each relationship down and ask myself 10 questions where was I selfish dishonest inconsiderate whom did I hurt did I unustifiably arouse jealousy suspicion or bitterness where was I at fault what should I have done instead was it selfish or not it was about my conduct my behavior in each relationship this process helps me become convinced that God can remove whatever self has blocked me off on him it sets us free step 5 is where we feel where we go deep where we become free step 10 11 and 12 are the maintenance steps we practice these three steps one day at a time for the rest of our lives self inventory pray and meditation and help others the process of facing and get rid of the things within myself which are blocking me enables me to discover one day at a time
Step 12, meet Friend of Bill -- you two seem to have a lot in common!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's nice. Nice to meet you
Old 11-15-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can read the literature on your own but remember the way you have been living your life has not worked you truly need a sponsor to go through the steps the steps have not changed in years if you don't get someone to explain them to you you'll never know what they really mean.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"completely smashed the idea that we could ever drink again" is what I think of when I think of step 1 done. It's in the book.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Andante, that was kinda funny.