Notices

Anyone get terrible irritation on tongue or throat?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone get terrible irritation on tongue or throat?

Always been a drinker on the weekends like once a week, but I dunno just been getting progressively worse the last 6 mo. Probably been drinking almost every day the last 2 weeks or so, and I'm guessing inflammed taste buds and the base of my tongue. It's super scratchy feeling and I have a lot of phlegm. It's weird really only experience it when I'm sober (like now), and it gets worse like before I go to sleep. Just a cause from alcohol messing witht he mucous linings of the throat? I've seen on the show intervention people hacking until they throw up, and I have definitely hacked like you cant clear your throat in the mornings. I dunno alcohol is a terrible it's like I want to get something now because its saturday, but in reality it doesn't matter if i've been drinking every day for last 12 days or so .. I'm probably just going to go to sleep.

My mouth is pissing me off right now ugh .. anyways I guess was more wondering if anyone has experienced that, and I'm sure it's common since its an irritant.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had that problem on about day 4 of sobriety. I thought I had thrush or something. I drank a lot of gatorade and poweraid and it went away on its own. Alcohol messes with everything in your entire body.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Towards the end of my drinking, my tongue was swollen like that and it felt like my taste buds were swollen as well. I also kept having a dry feeling throat and my voice would crack. When I quit, it cleared up in a few days. I chalked it up to my body being dehydrated and it's been fine since. Good luck, and if it doesn't improve see a doctor to make sure it's nothing serious.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, had that. My thoat was so swollen it was hard to eat.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah had the same here... Was so bad that when I ate it brought on a panic attack!!! Lasted about 3-4 days then just went. Don't want to be on that road again!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had very uncomfortable irritable/burning lips and mouth once after a particularly bad binge, along with some other weird symptoms I'd never experienced before. Was hard to eat. Really freaked me out. It was a nutritional imbalance for me and definitely drinking-related, but I would suggest everyone to talk with a doctor if these diffuse symptoms persist.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I have found that once I stop drinking, my mouth gets all sorts of bumps and lumps as it regains not having ethanol burning off everything both good and bad. My throat always gets a little sore in the early days too. I think it's the change in PH in our systems when they no longer have to battle the constant barrage of booze.