Notices

Non-alcoholic wine - YUCK!!

Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholic wine - YUCK!!

So I thought I'd try some non alcoholic wine tonight. I love pizza, but pizza just has to go with wine! I have 54 days sober thanks to the antabuse, and did have a little concern that maybe not all of the alcohol had been removed from the wine, so I took a few sips, waited awhile, and took a few more sips, and nothing happened. This was an experiment and I have to say that I won't be repeating it. The non alcoholic stuff costs twice as much as the wine I was used to drinking, and it tastes just like watered down, vinegary fruit juice. Far from any wine I've ever tasted! If I can't have the real stuff I won't waste my money on the expensive fake stuff.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have tried non alky wine. Was grose. I quite liked bavaria non alky beer but tbh it made me want real booze. So for me im sticking to soft drinks. Much safer
Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me non alcoholic drinks are awful, better to go with something that tastes good!!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The truth be known, I never really drank wine for the taste of it (or any other kind of alcohol for that matter - I drank the most palatable to me , red wine, for the effect), so I am with you. I love all of the new non-alcoholic, calorie free drinks in my daily routine.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Isn't that just called grape juice?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found water with a generous squeeze of lemon in it helped keep the "tang" craving at bay. Just every so often, it really helped.

Early on though, I used to have one every night, just to help with detoxing.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep...nasty stuff. I actually discovered that long before I got sober. Years ago when I was pregnant I had some, and it was dreadful! Like a bad grape juice with a shot of vinegar in it:-(.

I do like some NA beer, and have one occasionally at a party.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never drank for the taste. I was a hardcore hard liquor drinker for the last 4 years. Man all that tasted like crap. chugging smirnoff out of a bottle what id expect. Someone told me ginger beer is really good.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not an Aussie thing to have wine with pizza - at least not in my experience. It tastes just as good without
Old 07-12-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah it is orrible... I have tried NA beer a few times but that does contain a small amount of alcohol so wouldnt recommend it.. The only beer which is totally alcohol free is Cobra & is the best tasting one...
Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Heh...I'm actually a fan of the NA whites. They're not something I drink with any regularity. Just a neat drink I pick up from time to time. I really like NA champaign but I really do save that for special occasions because calories! I don't think of it as a replacement for booze. It's just a different fruit juice to drink on occasion. What I'm loving right now is a sour lemon drink mix with sparkling soda water. I'm trying a peach bellini mix with soda water when my lemon mix is gone. I never feel like I'm drinking that stuff instead of booze because, quite frankly, everything I drink is something I drink instead of booze. I rarely had a nonalcoholic drink when I was drinking. Milk was my only safe drink and it was rare that I drank milk.

Still, to this day I cannot drink Diet Sprite. It makes me ill to even look at the bottle. I mixed soooo much vodka with Diet Sprite that I can't separate the two in my mind. Diet 7 Up is fine somehow!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I personally stay away from NA wine or beer. Just doesn't put my head in a good place.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Vile hideous stuff!!

I think pizza and a diet/regular coke works much better!
I like a 7up too.
I really coke floats as well.

I think the fake stuff is horrid, it tastes like rotten fruit.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Vile hideous stuff!!

I think pizza and a diet/regular coke works much better!
I like a 7up too.
I really coke floats as well.

I think the fake stuff is horrid, it tastes like rotten fruit.
I totally agree! I haven't tried NA wine since I've been sober but I remember trying it once a couple of years ago because it was slightly lower in calories than the very strong Aussie Chardonnay I would normally drink. It was hideous and just made me hanker after the real stuff even more! Wouldn't go near it now.

And pizza tastes so much better with diet coke! Let's face it, though, I only ever had pizza before to soak up wine - I don't think I really tasted it at all
Old 07-13-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Some people can drink the NA stuff and some can't. I remember trying NA beer one of the prior times quitting. It was the equivalent of being starving and having someone hold your favorite food in front of your open mouth just far enough away so you can't take a bite. It toys with the mind.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found the non-alcoholic wine disappointing to say the least. It just tasted like glorified overpriced grape juice. And not good grape juice at that - very watery!

I am enjoying the different varieties of sparkling waters right now. I even found one that's made in France. A bit pricey - yes ... but its yummy and I really like it. It gets my mind off of wine. I feel like I'm having a little treat. And, I don't get dehydrated from it!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I never drank for the taste, only the effect. Some of it was just less gross than others.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

May I ask you a question please. I am on antabuse , and I am getting a mix message about non-alcoholic beer. will it make me sick? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hi welcome, glad you found us.

I don't know if it will make you sick, but is it really the best idea?
I find things like that quite triggering.
I would rather drink diet coke, or a soft rink I liked.

Why don't you start a new thread and then others will be able to offer you advice.

I wish you the best xx
Old 05-04-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Agree. Somebody mentioned ginger beer (it's not beer, of course. )This has become my "splurge" drink. I have one when I get home from work. I drink "Goya" brand Jamaican style. You can find it in the International foods aisle at most grocery stores. I don't know if you like "spicy" stuff, but this is like an intense ginger ale with capsicum (basically a type of pepper). It has a lot of sugar, so I limit myself to one a day. But that pepper kick definitely puts a sparkle in my boots. Lol.