Notices

A W A R E Panic Attacks

Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A W A R E Panic Attacks

I was just having a clean out of my hotmail & came across this email. Now, most drinkers will suffer from panic attacks at some point, during drinking or in withdrawal. This may come in use for anybody currently in this situation. Hope it helps.

When I work with someone who has panic attacks we discuss in detail when they happen, and where, and what may be triggering them etc. Also how they actually experience them.
Panic starts with a fear response, and the adrenalin and 'fight or flight' mechanism kicks in, leaving people feeling varing degrees of panic and fear. What can then happen is that people start to fear the panic attack itself, as well as whatever it is (often unknown) that triggers it, so the situation gets worse.
Either they avoid similar situations, out of fear of a panic attack happening, or as soon as one starts they respond with despair and even more fear/panic, making everything feel worse.
What helped me (and it seems to work for others, too) is to accept the panic. Like we accept backache, or a sneezing fit, or a dose of flu. Instead of "Oh my God!! I'm having a panic attack! Its awful, I can't cope" I learned to recognise the earliest signs of it, and say to mayself "Oh ****. I'm having a panic attack. How annoying is that" and then talk to myself in more positive ways.
"OK its a panic attack. It won't kill me. Its a horrible feeling, but it will pass. I will get over this"
Then I would put a lot of effort into just monitoring it, watching my symptoms in a kind of clinical way (Heart beating too fast, hard to breathe properly, sweating, shaking etc etc) as though I was someone else watching me in as detached a way as possible (not easy I have to say, but it was easier everytime I did it)
I refused to let it stop me doing things. If I got a panic attack in a shop, I refused to leave the shop, but would find a corner I could just stop and wait for it to ease up. If I panicked while driving (fear of getting lost would be a big trigger for me) then I'd stop, put some soothing music on the tape deck, and give myself the positive talk, and breathe steadily till it was possible to continue. I didn't head for home, or stop driving to places, however tempting it was.

The whole process was described to me as the 'AWARE' technique.
A - Accept what's happening (don't have to like it, just accept it. Don't fight it!)
W - Watch what's happening to you as clinically and calmly as possible
A - Act as normal as possible (Don't allow the panic attack to make you change your plans)
R - Repeat these steps as often as you need to, (meanwhile breathing slowly. PLB helps)
E - Expect things to get better. They will!
Old 07-09-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jezza,

thanks for posting that! I had my first full blown panic attack at 17. no drugs or alcohol had been involved. I just think it was my body. I'd had minor attacks before, didn't know what was going on. Yes, doctors were quick to write prescriptions for Valium or Miltown....I think it was. Very very lucky for me I didn't like the feelings from tranquilizers. I think I really dodged a bullet.

I will always wonder if only I'd bet taught breathing exercises and such if I wouldn't have drank alcohol. If only I'd learned how to sleep. or if my brain would have allowed sleep!

I think yoga should be taught in schools rather than such focus on sports. my gym classes were of very little good for most of us. yoga seems to be less expensive, works for everyone and is just a better way to go.

Thanks again!

Love from Lenina
Old 07-09-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Forgot mention what PLB means:

Pursed lip breathing

Improves ventilation
Releases trapped air in the lungs
Keeps the airways open longer and decreases the work of breathing
Prolongs exhalation to slow the breathing rate
Improves breathing patterns by moving old air out of the lungs and allowing for new air to enter the lungs
Relieves shortness of breath
Causes general relaxation
Old 07-09-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Jezza, thanks X