Notices

nearly 3 months - so TIRED!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

nearly 3 months - so TIRED!

hey all

i haven't posted here for a bit but i'm still reading every day.

i have 78 days today - the longest stretch since i came into AA last october.

i feel amazing, psychologically. the rewards of sobriety are fantastic. i'm rebuilding my relationship with my daughter, i have a new partner, i am sorting my life out gradually.

but. i am so TIRED all the time. i have to drag myself out of bed regardless of what time i need to be up. i have no energy. i was planning on starting college in September but am going to defer for a year. i haven't worked since a breakdown in october 2012, and even doing a few hours here and there for college preparation has wiped me out completely.

is this common at this stage of sobriety? will it last forever?! i know i need to sort out my diet as i'm still relying on snack food and not cooking. any advice gratefully received!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Whoo hoo congrats on 78 days! You rock.

Around 6 months I was literally exhausted all the time even though I had lots of sleep. I think what you are going thru is normal and it will pass. It did pass for me.

Keep on doing what you are doing and definitely changing your eating habits will help.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was certainly the case for me Chickippo - took me a good 90 days IIRC?
I hope you'll see an improvement soon too....if not, it may be time for a checkup?

D
Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Chickippo - I'm from the UK too and was wondering if this cursed heat-wave we're in the middle of, is making things worse for you? I know i'm waking up boiling opn and off through the night (not in the biblical sense, i hasten to add)

Hope you feel better soon
Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mairie - i'm quite comfortable at night as my bedroom has a skylight. during the day i have a balcony but yes, the heat is tiring.

i confess to late-night snacking which means i often wake up with heartburn - i wonder if this is also disturbing my sleep. my dreams are endless and complicated and always involve me being lost somewhere and having to find my way home. this is tiring too as it's literally every night.

i take a multivitamin every day, along with my vit B compound and thiamine. i'm on psych meds but have been for a good while so should be used to them.

i can feel a juice fast coming on! even when i was drinking i used to detox for a week each year. which sounds ridiculous written down - i would still drink during these periods but 'clear liquids' only. ie vodka, gin, white rum...good lord!

i'm not giving up my sobriety for anything so i guess this really is the wake-up call (excuse the pun) to sort out my diet and get some regular exercise. i do walk everywhere as i live in the middle of town with no car parking but i know i need to lose weight.

ugh. diets suck!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow - you sound exactly like me, even down to living in town!!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on 78 Days!!

I was very tired for the first while, I was going to work in the mornings feeling I hadn't sleep, only coffee was keeping me going, it almost felt like being jet lagged constantly!!

But things eased, give it time, you'll get your spring in your step back soon!!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Although not as far up the road as you Ippo...I started a thread on this subject just the other day. I am tired, lethargic and unmotivated. It sucks...but from the responses I received..it is in fact, normal.

Well done, BTW!!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

It is normal from what I have researched, it seems to come in waves for some reason, I am over 7 months and although I generally feel good, it do get tired some days but a large part of that for me is the fact that I am not working at the moment and there is nothing that makes me more tired than sitting around without a focus, seems strange but it does make me sleepy regardless of the time of day.
You will get through this.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chickippo View Post
i confess to late-night snacking which means i often wake up with heartburn - i wonder if this is also disturbing my sleep. my dreams are endless and complicated and always involve me being lost somewhere and having to find my way home. this is tiring too as it's literally every night.
Aa ah, that's what I was going to ask. I found if I'd had a carb heavy dinner, or sweets, or popcorn too late...I woke up as groggy as if I was hungover. And still do now.

I've accepted I screwed with my body/metabolism way to long. I could cry (seriously!) when I think of what a temple my body used to be. And I just trashed it.

It's criminal!

And yeah...great fasting....been on similar *ahem* cleanses myself. Crazy. Alcohol is crazy.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
..I woke up as groggy as if I was hungover. And still do now.
Hmmm...so the two Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches I had before bed weren't helpful : )

Again your post this morn reminds me of something. I remember in another sobriety, and it was around Christmas, someone had given me some homemade French Canadian brown sugar fudge (a weakness of wine).

I think I ate about a pound of the stuff (I will eat that stuff til I'm nauseous..ya no off button).

I woke up about 3 a.m. (as I always do when drinking) horribly dehydrated and in need of water. I felt lousy all the next day.

Essentially I had a hangover from all that sugar.

That was supposed to have read "a weakness of mine".
Now that's what I call a Freudian slip.

Last edited by Nuudawn; 07-08-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Quite a typo.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm at 5 months and I'm feeling the fatigue slowly start to lift. I still have days of exhaustion and no motivation but they are getting fewer and farther between.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it's normal. I think it took about 5 months for me to get on a regular schedule. Most often I find that just accepting the fact that you are tired and if you have the means to go and nap you should do it. If someone would have told me that recovery was such a process when this all began I would have no idea the different phases one would have to go through. I really think your body is just healing itself. Congrats on 3 months that is incredible!!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

A better diet will help. Most junk food has sugar in it. More veggies. Exercise. I sleep better when I've been active all day. It takes willpower to get off the sofa but it gets easier every day.