Notices

My next step.. Speaking to a pyschologist

Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My next step.. Speaking to a pyschologist

I joined this site yesterday in an attempt to quit drinking with the help and support of this group. I feel that however this may not be enough so I've scheduled appointments to speak with a psychologist. I've been up all morning reading the various posts from everyone and I didn't realize how similar the negative effects it had on everyone. I honestly felt I was alone in that sense. I know I was using the drinking to mask and hide my real feelings, my depression, my anxiety but j didn't know the harsh reality of what alcohol can really do to a person. I have a problem facing reality sometimes and I would put things off becuase I didn't want to deal with them and then I would use drinking to escape it all. In turn that would leave me hung over and depressed and I just didn't realize how bad it has got. I attempted once to quit drinking back in March but I thought I just had some issues I had to deal with and once that was fixed I would be fine to drink again. I know now I need to get to a good place in my life and I'm scared I'm not strong enough to do it. I'm not close with my family and I feel I don't have strong enough support system around me. I hope these forums can help me. Right now I feel alone and abandoned and I have nobody to blame but myself
Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think adding whatever you need to your toolset is a great idea.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Jjmarty. The story of alcohol and what it can do to a person is a very, very familiar one - so take heart in knowing you are definitely not alone. Sounds like you are taking your sobriety seriously already, that's a very good sign. Make sure you don't hold anything back with the doc - your treatment/therapy will be much more successful if all the details are laid out there. I found it very theraputic to simply say many of the things i had felt all those years with my doctor. Also know that both pshychologists and medical doctors have heard it and seen it all, nothing you can say will be a surprise.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SR is in your corner Jjmarty!! You can do this!!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Jjmarty! Seeing a psychologist is a great idea. This is a tough battle and you need all the support you can get. And now you have all of us, too!